BMW's new B58 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Separate turbo cooling pump makes sense, since you can run the electric pump motor a minute after engine shut-down. Still, a simpler system is Thermal Siphoning of a water-cooled turbo. Maybe BMW added the complexity due to racing or hard usage concerns.
Explanation of thermal siphoning: https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga...ter_Cooling.pdf

BMW can't use the B58 name!!! Already taken:
160306.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Apparently BMW has also revamped the 3-series suspension for 2016 after Cadillac ATS surpassed it in the handling department, at least according to some mags.

We'll see how the new 2016 Camaro, using a modified Cad ATS suspension, will perform against the new (and old) 3-series in handling.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Separate turbo cooling pump makes sense, since you can run the electric pump motor a minute after engine shut-down. Still, a simpler system is Thermal Siphoning of a water-cooled turbo. Maybe BMW added the complexity due to racing or hard usage concerns.
Explanation of thermal siphoning: https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga...ter_Cooling.pdf

BMW can't use the B58 name!!! Already taken:
160306.jpg

BMW uses more complex systems because of the fine German engineering.

Originally Posted By: CT8
BMW uses more complex systems because of the fine German engineering.

Thats what I thought at first, but then you think the Thermal Siphoning method used by others these days is not really sufficient to cool it down after a track day or hard use. Hate to see yet another electric pump/plumbing/motor added though. I'm getting to be turbo-averse, too much heat, I'd rather have the Mazda way of high-compression DI, skip the turbo cooker.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
timing chains on the back of the engine.......

Yeah, I just cringe when I see some of these newer designs.

I have worked on enough of the older BMWs that were supposedly of the "reliable" variety and well, they were far from desirable....at least to the average driver from a service cost / # of wear items standpoint.

BMW engineers have been over-complicating vehicle systems with a vengeance since the late '90s. My Club Sport may not be all that fast, but it is simple to work on and the M42 motor is dead-nuts reliable.

Ought to be fabulous when it works, and is still under warranty.

The rear timing case will be fun to deal with when something in the VANOS system needs attention. Are the timing chain guides more reliable nowadays at least?

Mini owners have been the guinea pigs for the B48 four. I guess the BMW x40i owners get to dive straight in.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
This will be offered on the 2016 3-series...

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1133836

Seems like quite a few changes compared to the outgoing N55 engine. Interesting that the turbocharger now gets its own cooling pump.

Apparently BMW has also revamped the 3-series suspension for 2016 after Cadillac ATS surpassed it in the handling department, at least according to some mags.

Yep. The ATS is an amazing driver. My base model rental was absolutely a blast with the 3.6 DI/six speed slushbox. Got mid twenties in enthusiastic driving. Truly the best handling stock car I have ever driven, and lacking almost all the expensive performance goodies.

I also expect the new Camaro will be pretty grand...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back