Rabbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Sending it to animal rescue just so they can euthanize it makes no sense to me.

Since our local ARL is no-kill, and since they have an extensive fostering program, you're once again talking about something you know nothing about.

Anyways I say eat him. Feed it to the dogs for a treat. The shelter is just going to put it down anyways.

That may be one of the most ignorant comments I've ever seen.

Or you can put up a notice saying you've trapped what looks like a pet. Give the owner a chance before allowing your carnivores to eat like one.

I live in the country. I could put notices up, but the only people who would see them are the other folks who live on our road, and he doesn't belong to any of them. He (or she) has been dropped in the country by some irresponsible miscreant.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Pop_Rivet, I wish you would keep the rabbit and take care of him.

I have no desire to keep a rabbit as a pet.

Posting up a free rabbit ad will get rid of it quickly, and perhaps to be eaten but its out of your hands then.
After a few months of running around eating fresh greens it would taste pretty good though.
We saw a cotton tail lurking around our young fruit trees and bushes(rabbits will eat the bark, killing the tree) early last winter so it needed to go. The boys got to watch clean kill with the .22, then we skinned and cleaned it, and had it for dinner. I was impressed how much meat was on it and it fed the four of us.

Can we agree to stop telling Pop to eat his rabbit or how tasty his rabbit would be? His wife feeds it blueberries for crying out loud!
33.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KDonkey
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
you could always eat him! Rabbit is so delicious! grill it up with rice and have "Cornejo Asada" you wont regret it. Just don't tell your wife its rabbit. Tell her it's chicken.

You think you're shocking? I went to China and ate part of a dog. Sleep nice tonight.

Why would I think I'm shocking? Rabbit is a common meat in many parts of the world. Raised in a cage or in the wild it is still a rabbit and an excellent very lean protein.

When I lived in Central America for a year from 2008-2009 I ate plenty of "cage raised" rabbits. Chances are it used to be a pet until someone couldn't have it anymore so they let it go.

Just keep it as a pet.

One showed up at my office a few years ago, a few days after Easter, and we still have it.

This seems like a lot of drama over nothing.

My dog catches the rabbits that run loose around here. Couldn't believe it until I saw him chase one down.

I remember this guy posting a similar thing about his dog chasing down cats and killing them. From the neighbors yard that had wondered over to his yard iirc.

Rabbits don't make great pets. Not sociable, expressive enough.

Interesting stories about feral-released pets over the years populating warmer regions of the U.S.

I've heard of iguanas, hamsters, gerbils, snake pets released and establishing a presence in Florida. And parrots can do OK:

MV5BOTYyODY0ODk5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTU2OTgyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
My dog catches the rabbits that run loose around here. Couldn't believe it until I saw him chase one down.

I remember this guy posting a similar thing about his dog chasing down cats and killing them. From the neighbors yard that had wondered over to his yard iirc.

Its the macho redneck thing. Real men dont own cats. Didn't you know that? This macho stuff is so predicable on car forums. In a few more posts someone will be boasting that they shoot cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back