Safe $5000 - $7000 car for a 16yr old

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son will be getting his drivers license soon and we have started to look for his first car. I would really like to find something with at least anti lock brakes and side air bags and/or curtain. Budget $5000 - $7500. I would usually look to getting a Honda or Toyota, but I am curious what else we should consider. Prefer 4 cyl, but a 6 cyl would be ok.

If we can find something without super high miles within our budget, we are considering these so far: 2008-2011 Ford Focus or Fusion, 06-09 Civic/Accord, Camry, Scion Tc (son's favorite)

Any other suggestion?

You can find a decent 7th gen Accord in the price range for sure. My 2006 has been a great car, I would highly recommend it. Look for one in the 2005-2007 model years. Good gas mileage, safe, reliable, easy to work on, low maintenance...etc.

Some of the V6 imports made in the past several years are rocket ships compared to most things on the road when I grew up in the 80's.
I'd go with a four cylinder.

I don't care for domestic vehicles, but the Mexican built Fusion has a decent reputation.

Does the percivible reliability of the Honda or Toyota make it worth paying more and/or getting an older model in comparison to a Fusion?

If my wife and I had a son, I wouldn't buy him a Civic. It's rare you see a teenage boy with one that doesn't screw the car up with hideous "go fast" parts and driving like a [censored].

My daughter drives a 2008 Hyundai Elantra.
The 2007-2010 (previous generation) are fairly bullet-proof and very good cars. I would think you could find one in that price range.
If buying one remember to haggle if the timing belt hasn't been changed.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Corolla

This, a Hyundai Elantra, or 4-cyl Fusion.

Avoid anything that seems sporty, like the Scion.

See what the insurance rates are before going much further. I'd opt for an old Volvo, a 240 or 740, but they're hard to find these days.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Some of the V6 imports made in the past several years are rocket ships compared to most things on the road when I grew up in the 80's.
I'd go with a four cylinder.

I don't care for domestic vehicles, but the Mexican built Fusion has a decent reputation.

Does the percivible reliability of the Honda or Toyota make it worth paying more and/or getting an older model in comparison to a Fusion?

If my wife and I had a son, I wouldn't buy him a Civic. It's rare you see a teenage boy with one that doesn't screw the car up with hideous "go fast" parts and driving like a [censored].

Yes, no need for a V6. The ones in the Accord's and Camry's really make them rockets. Todays I4's have plenty of power.

I think if you should bring your son into the conversation and see what they like. It's educational for them to take some stake in the car buying process, rather then you just telling them what.
If they LIKE the car, there's they will take care of it more.

OF course you get veto power.

I was thinking something with a combination of a lower resale and decent reliability. Whether that translates into a lower price is probably up to your perception of a fair value.

Honda/Toyota might be considered overpriced in the used market in relation to your price range while some others might offer very good reliability / safety for 15% less. You can buy a 2006 Corolla or a 2009 Elantra for about the same price. Both are boring cars that are reliable. That might be your dichotomy.

I can tell you that if I'm 16 years old, I'm lucky to have a car let alone pick a favorite.

Skip the small cars like Corolla, Echo, Civic, Scion...

Get a Camry/Accord/Altima/6/Sonata/Optima ... make sure its a 4cyl...no turbo or V6. Might not have all the airbags but better to teach kid how to drive properly than to expect bags/ABS/TCS/VSS to fix all issues.

Ebay has a good selection so that you can compare prices to whatever you find locally.

Go with a 4 cylinder. I remember when I got my first car, brand new, off the lot, paid for it myself, no loan... the manager said "Kids drive their first cars hard, fast, and long." I said NOT ME! Sure enough, 1 month later, redlining it was my favorite thing to do. I was (still am) a smart guy, but believe me, a small 4 cylinder is plenty powerful enough for even the smartest, safest, best kids out there.

Cannot believe how durable, pleasant to drive, and reliable our 4th generation ES 300 (2002-2005 300/330, 5th gen. Camry parallel). Will hit 1/4 million miles in a few months. Much lower mileage ones are in your range. VVT-i V6 and 5spd auto make it efficient, smooth, reasonably powerful. Those came to the Camry later, so not identical year-to-year in powertrain. Well in your budget for a clean modest mileage one.

For 5 or 6 grand show me a decent Honda or Toyota that you can get? I can not find one.

Scion XB or TC is going to be 9-10 grand all day long.

My honest opinion is a cobalt or saturn ion 2005+ with automatic transmission.

That is one of the few GM cars that I actually liked and was reliable. We had two of them.

Get the 4 door for cheaper insurance rates, and stay away from the 2 door stick shift sporty models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back