Great offer from my Toyota dealer (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought you guys would get a laugh out of this. I surely did.

This is the deal that my Toyota dealer is offering. Round Rock Toyota in Central Texas.

So basically they change the oil, rotate the tires, and look at a few things for $189.

What a deal.

Capture.png

They are replacing a couple air filters.That could be 40-50 dollars right there.

Tire rotation too, nothing I would ever be interested in but for someone that doesn't want to get their hands dirty I guess it's an okay deal.

That's a good deal compared to what the charge to change the serpentine belt. Belt

Last edited:
Round Rock is full of affluent tech workers who could care less about maintaining their own vehicles. I know this because i often poach their abused vehicles 10 years after the fact. They probably think that is a great deal too. Good for classicrr for pillaging the local economy.

This isn't really as funny as you think, OP. With the stupid amounts they charge for an hour of labor at a dealer, that's pretty reasonably priced for all of that.

wait.. so how much should could i be charging my buddy's mom?
she bought my old Neon (2005) in Feb '14, after she took a 4 year job assignment in AK. this is her runabout for the few weeks a year she's home.

I just did the First Oil change it's had since she's owned it, yesterday, drained out the 22 mo old(just shy of 7k mi) MS5k 5w20, and removed the Mobil 1EP filter (both in service since middle of October '13), replaced with a Fram Ultra(XG3614), and Castrol 0w30(GC)
Today I'm replacing the Spark Plugs.

had the GC in my stash since about 2011( not charging for oil I bought to use in this car while i still owned it), bought the XG3614(~$9) and the OE champion plugs(~$10) just for this job.

so hrm, Full Sythetic Oil/Filter Change, Change Plugs, and i should probably rotate the tires.
Her: " how much do I owe you?"
Me:"$25-30 Tim Hortons Gift Card,or cash(that i will apply to a Tim Card), or if you wanna stay in the usual payment method for shadetree wrenching a case of Coors."

you mean i could have charged like $150!!! DANG IT!!!

Last edited:
When the inspecto droid is through do they tell you if all those things on the list are still there and attached on the vehicle?
My pet peeve: one can get a grand worth of work done on an engine and the service droid won't even check the oil level, although I do remember once a dealer service "manager" droid during warranty work on my new Camry telling me the engine oil I had just changed was "low and dirty". Aye, trying to sell me an oil change on the assumption I never, ever looked were ya?
The "little old lady" would be better served finding an indy shop based on some suggestions from friends and family. As I have recounted, a Toyota "store" in South Florida tried to sell my 90 year old mother a GRAND worth of nothing on a Camry with 17,000 miles on it and which had been inspected and OKed by an honest Toyota dealer up here before being loaded on a transport to Boca.
The only reason the car was even NEAR that Florida dealer was because the climate control had been switched off. The "little old lady" in this case, had a good eye for sharks carrying clipboards.

I'm not sure what you're griping about. It's not a bad price for someone who chooses not to do the work themselves. Is there a point you're trying to make?

There is probably $40-$50 in parts and somewhere around an hour of labor, plus the markup on the parts.

I don't view this as particularly outrageous because it follows what a lot of shops would call "intermediate service"...a lot of 'inspect/check' items with a couple 'repair/replace' items. I see coupons for similar work around me from dealers and independents for approximately the same price.

I still get Mazda flier ads from the dealer even though I sold my 3 a few years ago and they offer something similar with a discretionary "extra coupon" that'll give you an additional 5% off!!!

Another bash the dealer thread.............let's just start with a copy and paste of the last one and save some time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Another bash the dealer thread.............let's just start with a copy and paste of the last one and save some time.
This is CLEARLY a come on to sell you stuff you don't need, or convince you your car is "shot" and it's time to get back on the payments treadmill. Those who think otherwise are unwise in the ways of the world of car dealers , or work for one.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's outrageous. Ford charges $39 for the same thing, including tire rotation, except the air filters. That explains why there were some old Toyotas waiting in line the last time I was there.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
This is CLEARLY a come on to sell you stuff you don't need, or convince you your car is "shot" and it's time to get back on the payments treadmill. Those who think otherwise are unwise in the ways of the world of car dealers , or work for one.

Except that the OP was talking about the price and not whether it was a "come on" to pad the dealers coffers with a lot of things that need to be "fixed". On that front, at least where I live, this is a relatively normal price for this kind of "intermediate" dealer service and a little less for an independent. Not talking about any nefarious dealings around it or how perceptive anybody is for recognizing it for what it is or isn't.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

These dealers keep feigning innocence yet they try and hoodwink the naive customer at every turn. They are called stealers for a reason.

Last edited:
I'm not interested in minor dealer services but some cabin filters are very pricey. Very!
Those top 4 items are not cheap.

In MD get a carpenter or plumber and they all are $90-$100 and hour. That's the real world where I live.

I never rotate tires. I do not want the rim and hub wear and
the ruining of my alloys. Plus rotating is not so hot IMHO with other issues it creates. Plus if I have to pay for it- two new tires up front every once in awhile is cheaper and the rears
are good for a 100K plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back