1st Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished the 1st oil in change in my new Ram 1500 3.6l. Put in the full 6 qts and filter, but it's only registering on the 1/4 bottom of the dip stick safe range. Tempted badly to add another 1/2 qt. Runs super smooth though on the Mobil Super Synthetic 5w20! Should I add a little or let it go?

Is that what it measured cold? If so, then drive the car until it's warmed up and check it hot. It may be at the correct level then.

Did you use an oversize filter?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Is that what it measured cold? If so, then drive the car until it's warmed up and check it hot. It may be at the correct level then.

Did you use an oversize filter?

OR.....you might not have pre-oiled the filter, snd thst might be the difference.

I would say you should add the 1/2 quart.

run it for a few minutes and check it again. it will get sucked into the filter. top off. done.

Check the owners manual and see what the procedure for checking the oil for the 3.6L Pentastar engine is.

thanks for the info! Since its got the 6 qts in it I'll take your advice and check again maybe tomorrow after driving and letting it cool off.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Check it cold in a few days, level ground, to be sure.
6 quarts is plenty for now.

Exactly.
If it's still low I'd add a half qt. I like it near the top of the 'FULL" line as insurance against usage later on....

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Check it cold in a few days, level ground, to be sure.
6 quarts is plenty for now.

Exactly.
If it's still low I'd add a half qt. I like it near the top of the 'FULL" line as insurance against usage later on....

Yes, what PBM and ExMachina said.

I always do my final level check after driving for a day or two, and then make sure it's near the top mark.

My Pentastar always reads on the bottom of the safe line with only 6 quarts. My 2012 did as does my 2015. 6 1/4 quarts puts me right under the top safe line. The Pentastar is a solid engine and is fairly easy on oil. I did not have a bad UOA on my previous 2012 Pentastar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back