LIQUI MOLY MoS2 trial run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all the sudden the wind, traffic, weather, etc shift in my favor and cause a long term noticeable increase in MPG just about the same time I use an oil additive I'm going to keep using it just for the better luck.

Originally Posted By: hatt
If all the sudden the wind, traffic, weather, etc shift in my favor and cause a long term noticeable increase in MPG just about the same time I use an oil additive I'm going to keep using it just for the better luck.

BINGO!

With all the efforts going on with oil development, don't you think someone would have found out about mos2 if there really were any measurable mpg gains?

I would suggest that the gains would require some really involved testing, as in by OEMs or oil companies, one of which actually produces the product. I am skeptical of just about every additive out there. Has this one been actually tested for fuel economy gains? If not, why not? Is someone afraid of the result, or lack thereof?

People claim it works, but additives to save fuel cut into my gas budget, and that is usually counterproductive.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
With all the efforts going on with oil development, don't you think someone would have found out about mos2 if there really were any measurable mpg gains?

For once I agree with you. Considering that you start out with gasoline having an energy density variation of 4% even at the same station, when you factor in all the environmental and personal driving differences the claims quickly disappear into the noise. Of course that is what they are hoping for, that way you can't disprove the claim.

First results.

550.6 miles
32.281 gallons
17.06 mpg

This was general normal driving, no highway trips. Curious if it stays above 17 over the long term.

Last edited:
Used and like MoS2 but just started using Lubegard and found it really does quieten the motor down on a cold start.

32.281 gallons
17.06 mpg

You do know that some of us aren't going to accept volume measurement accuracy to 1/1000 of a gallon or miles per gallon to two decimal places.

I also didn't compensate for tire diameter reduction as a result of wear or air pressure loss over the time period. And a thousand other variables. At the rate I'm going this will never be published in peer reviewed engine lubrication journals.
grin.gif

hatt, "this will never be published in peer reviewed engine lubrication journals" because your results cannot be trusted as physical proof of anything. Variances too large here.

I also didn't compensate for tire diameter reduction as a result of wear or air pressure loss over the time period.

No one said you had to do that, of course. You certainly could, if you so chose. You could also measure gasoline down to 1/1000 of a gallon, but not with consumer grade pumps and the inaccuracy and repeatability of filling a fuel tank. I'm just pointing out this it's not mathematically rigorous to do this without realizing that the error bars are likely larger than the fuel economy gains realized in the first place.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I am going to stock up on some from NAPA. I got a 20% off coupon. I think Clevy uses it in his generators with excellent results.

I use the stuff in everything I own. Now I'm not scientist nor are my variables super tightly controlled however I've got astronomical hours on compressors with nothing more than oil changes and mos2.
I tracked mileage in my charger for months.first establishing a baseline for 5000 then adding mos2 to the next oil change using the same brand and grade as the baseline. My commute is flat,with maybe 3 curves and 60 miles round trip.
First I computed mileage based on litres burned however after 2 months I found the charger was within 1/4 mpg as my computed figures so I quit bothering doing the math.
Anyways after 15000 miles I found I gained mpg consistently. The stuff does what it claims to do. Regardless what anyone thinks. I have proved it to myself time and time again.
And my compressors still start first pull. My highest hour ones are pushing 20000 hours,not a typo.
I've been informed by Honda the 5.5hp gx engine is rated for 5000 hours. Sorry. My Honda rep informed me that the engine is rated for 5000 hours. I've got 16 of them. Running daily.
Before mos2 I never had one of these compressors last 5 years running daily. They needed rings,usually happened in the winter. I'd sell them to one of my subs who just replaced with a chonda and I'd buy a new one.
That's when they were still all made in Japan. My 2 highest hour ones are Japanese. Then I've got Malaysia and Taiwan. No difference whatsoever in ease of starting or running however I turn out the throttle screws so they never run full throttle. They run the same volume of fuel whether pumping into the tanks or in bypass and they would last 6-7 hours in that mode.
Since using mos2 they run a 9 hour day. Typical in every machine.
I have a couple that run full blast for my performance crews. They are minimalists and don't take air pig tanks which increase air volume which maintains operating pressure longer. They need compressors that take the tanks from 100psi to 140psi ASAP.
I modify all my compressors so they pump 140psi into the tanks and start pumping air into the reservoir at 110psi. I then regulate the pressure to 90psi so the guns very rarely experience a pressure loss so severe that the guns don't sink the nails. That costs time if they have to sink them by hand.
Staplers machine gun and I can personally cycle a stapler 10 times per second. They are rated at 17 cycles per second but I know of no human that can shoot that fast and still be accurate.
So in my very vast experience using mos2 in equipment I've used for 23 years it not only extends engine life but lowers fuel consumption.
Heck I've timed tanks of fuel in 2 identical machines,both tuned and modified in the exact same manner,one with mos2 and the other without and after running a week,comparing the data every machine got mos2.
As has been said some don't believe and that's their prerogative however for me it's not a matter of faith or belief. It's a matter of money.
And mos2 saves me money. Immediately on fuel and years later in service.
It doesn't cost me a slim dime to use. Based on what I don't spend fixing worn equipment and in fuel it pays dividends.
Some engines show more benefit than others. I've found the bigger the engine the more benefit is seen like an 8 cylinder vs a 4 cylinder.
There was concern about it settling out. I haven't seen it however every engine it's used on runs daily.
So no it's not scientific however it's close enough for me. I've tried the stuff in various applications and used a stopwatch to monitor how long it takes to burn an measured litre of fuel in identical machines. Not once has the mos2 treated machine expired before the untreated machine.
And I'm not talking a few minutes here. A gallon of fuel lasted a couple hours longer. That's 30 minutes per litre multiplied by 16 compressors daily multiplied my 250 or so working days a year and you see it adds up very quickly.

Pm me if anyone has a question and would like the answer from someone with experience on many platforms and applications.
I don't throw money away. Nor do I buy a product that doesn't perform as advertised twice.

I am not quite understanding how your multiple compressor have identical load or how they run continuously. Isn't there a tank and doesn't compressor only runs intermittently when the tank pressure drops below preset value and stop when it reaches its other preset value?

So how are you comparing fuel used in compressor?

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
hatt, "this will never be published in peer reviewed engine lubrication journals" because your results cannot be trusted as physical proof of anything. Variances too large here.
Variances in sarcasm/smart as$ meter calibration are large also.

I'm kinda doing the same thing in my 2006 Civic. I changed the oil a week ago and added the MOS2 then. I immediately noticed the engine was whisper quiet at start-up. This engine (77,000 miles on it) is rather quiet to start with, but the extra quietness actually got my attention as I pulled away the first time.

Prior oil was QS Ultimate Durability Synthetic which was a little loud at start-up, especially in intense cold. New oil is Valvoline Next-Gen Max-Life. Not an oil known for providing that last tenth of a percent of economy. I have stacked the deck slightly against the MOS2.

I have computed the fuel economy for every tankful since I bought the car new. Fuel economy has definitely decreased the last few years. I always use at least some hypermiling techniques ... and am consistent with them. I drive similarly day after day. Yes, there is a HUGE variance between tankfuls, but I hope to see a trend comparing a dozen consecutive tankfuls with and a dozen consecutive tankfuls without (before).

First fill I got 45.5 mpg ... the best single tankful since 2009. We'll see if this continues.

On Wednesday a weld on the muffler flange sheared off and the exhaust became clown-car loud. I bodged it 50% back together with a clamp while I wait for Rock Auto to send me a new muffler. Mileage in this next tankful might be disappointing ... but I'll still count it regardless.

The MOS2 stays in suspension when the engine is run regularly. You can see the grey on the dipstick with clean oil. Also, this proves that the oil filter is not filtering all of this stuff out as well.

Yes, 3 cans of LM2009 for $5.04 each. Got the Purple Power for $1.99 and the hat and bucket gratis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back