Help installing oil cooler (sandwich adapter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1986 Chevy 350 which I would like to install an oil filter on.

However, I'm a bit confused about the sandwich adapters.

I know that the adapter needs to have the same thread size as the oil filter for the car. For example, my oil filter is a 13/16 inch -16 thread size, so I would get an adapter like this one...correct?

On that adapter it says it has a 3 1/2 inch O-Ring. Does the new oil filter I install need to be a 3 1/2 inch outside diameter?

If I am wrong here, feel free to correct me. Thanks for any info! A detailed explanation of all of this would be greatly appreciated!

First question how do you know you need an oil cooler?

20 something years ago I was building my Triuph sports car, the engine was to be up-rated and every parts catalogue said I would (must have) an oil cooler.
I was a little reluctant as I have had a bad experience with oil to Air coolers in the past.
Also Synthetic oils were appearing to offer better protection in extreme environments, so I contacted a couple of oil companies to seek advice.
Seems unless I was seeing temps over 230f I need not worry.
More to the point, temps BELOW about 175f would be less than optimal.

Short story, I fitted an oil temp gauge and KNOW what my oil temps are.
No cooler required.
In fact, I ended up fitting an Oil To Coolant heat exchanger for quicker oil warm up Plus over heat protection (if I should need it)

And no oil hoses to break or leak!!

^^^But additional coolant leak points. Always a trade off.

I had a TR-4 for my first car. Spent way too much on it and learned a lot. Bought pistons and sleeves at the Massey Ferguson dealer! Waited two months for a cam.

Lucas electrics. Nuff said...

The engine has actually been swapped into a 1987 Jeep Comanche, so it really isn't a "factory" engine. I just want to ensure that I do not run into any heat issues. I understand that the radiator should be enough, but I just want the added security of an oil cooler. This type of setup in a Jeep is not ideal as far as temperatures are concerned unless you upgrade the radiator and/or install an oil cooler.

It is not overheating, however I have not had a chance to really get the engine really hot. I just want to ensure that I do not run into any heat issues. I understand that the radiator should be enough, but I just want the added security of an oil cooler.

Yes you get the same thread that the oil filter is. They are easy to install but you will need a big socket. You can also find some universal kits that have various adapters. This is nice to go back and forth with SAE or Metric threaded oil filters.

Be sure to get a thermostatic one. They have a bimetal spring that will regulate what goes to the cooler. Most are 160F and this is what the oil will run during cold winter temps..So beware.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^But additional coolant leak points. Always a trade off.

I had a TR-4 for my first car. Spent way too much on it and learned a lot. Bought pistons and sleeves at the Massey Ferguson dealer! Waited two months for a cam.

Lucas electrics. Nuff said...

I'll take a coolant leak over an oil leak anyday.

I could write a book on Lucas electrics, fortunatly my car is now 90% Nipondenso now.
butthere isstill always 'something to do' on the car.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Be sure to get a thermostatic one. They have a bimetal spring that will regulate what goes to the cooler. Most are 160F and this is what the oil will run during cold winter temps..So beware.

And 160f is really a bit on the cool side of optimal!

You understand that you can overheat your coolant without overheating your oil?
Your Oil and coolant basically, mainly, cool diffeant parts of your engine.

Coolant- Cyl head

Oil-Underside of Pistons.

But you come across as if your mind is made up. You WANT an oil cooler.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
Given the application; an oil cooler is a very good idea. That radiator in those Cherokee is massively undersized. The oil cooler will do well to reduce engine temps.

Yes, oil cools the Pistons, but also absorbs a lot of heat from all of the bearings it touches, and the cylinder head area.

I would definitely suggest an oil cooler thermostat of 180°.

GM put an oil cooler in a LOT of vehicles that came out of the factory. Didn't harm any of those engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back