You cant see the engine under the oil cap on a 122

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG what a stupid piece of [censored]!

Besides the silly oil filter location, you can't take a look at the engine by taking off the oil cap, because the oil cap is also the dipstick, so the view takes you somewhere else.

This engine was on most J-bodies and S-10/Sonomas. Why did they even bother with the 122? GM should've just used the SOHC Quad-4 and/or the Saturn 1.9.

Needless to say, I put in synthetic (in this case PP) and an M1 oil filter. Only dealing with that [censored] once a year. No cut-and-post of the old filter (which was a Chinese Service Pro) because I had to hammer-and-screwdriver it off, so I tore some of the media (I'd still rather have a Tearolator than this chintzy Chinese toilet-paper filter). Most likely made by the same child slave labor as the Prime Choice I cut last week for the Zetec here

Great_Post.jpg

The valve cover comes off as quickly as a skidplate on some trucks that has to be removed every oil change. Take a look around.

My 93 cavalier, after 22 years of tire shop bulk oil, was still spotless upstairs. I had a look when the valve cover gasket needed doing.

The 2000 cavalier was supposed to have the saturn ecotec motor but they couldn't ramp up production in time. All the wiring and communication busses were upgraded and a later 'tec is a drop in upgrade.

The original 1.8 J car engine was nicknamed the "junkyard" engine,because while Chrysler and Ford were coming out with OHC engine designs (2.2/1.6) GM went with the OHV route,thought to be rehashing old,thrown away designs.(Course for 84 Ford cut 2 cylinders off the 200-6 and created the 2.3 Tempo OHV engine).With a severe lack of power GM increased the 1.8 to 2.0 along the way dropping the carburetor for throttle body.Pontiac decided to go with the Brazilian 1.8 OHC engine instead and kept it until the end of J2000/Sunbird production.Later the Cavalier went to 2.2 liters and multiport injection.The 2.2 wound up in S10s and LLV mail carrier trucks (after the demise of the 2.5).The later introduced QUAD-4 and QUAD OHC were considered too expensive and out of character for these low end vehicles.Eventually the ECOTEC wound up in later Cavalier/Sunfires in anticipation of the "better" Cobalt vehicles coming for mid decade.And we know how well the Cobalt treated its customers after the GM cover-up came to light...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Same story on our 530i and Q5 - can't see anything after removing the oil cap as there is a plastic baffle.

Toyota's MZ engines have this stupid baffle, too. But you can always cut it off. At least it's still on the valve cover.

The 122's oil cap doesn't even go to the valve cover! It goes directly to the oil pan.

The baffle under the cap is a pretty standard item. I have it on Sonata V6, Explorer V8, 1996 Sable V6 DOHC... 2001 Sable DOHC is even worse - all I can see a spinning timing chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back