Honda J-series ejecting spark plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Would it be possible for you to *look* at the repair and determine if it was timesert or not? I do not know which plug it is but #5 (middle front) is most likely based on the internet.

I appreciate your offer but more importantly providing the information on the differences between the two approaches. If it says helicoil, I will drop it like hot potato which I would not have otherwise without your expertise.

You can see the repair. A helicoil for the plug on an aluminum engine would be enough for me to walk away from it. On the other hand, if it were a Ford 5.4 i would be more incline to buy it if it had all inserts done on the plugs.

Given the low mileage on that particular vehicle, I believe spark plugs must have been original. Factory defect?

Given the low mileage on that particular vehicle, I believe spark plugs must have been original. Factory defect?

some forensic mechanic expert might know, otherwise your just throwing darts.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You can see the repair. A helicoil for the plug on an aluminum engine would be enough for me to walk away from it. On the other hand, if it were a Ford 5.4 i would be more incline to buy it if it had all inserts done on the plugs.

Yes if I had any car the needed a spark plug insert, I would immediately take it to my nearest Ford dealer- the experts!

The big difference is on the J engine it appears to be a limited number of casting failures while the Fords were just an all out engineering failure, yep Ford had a better idea.
Some genius (you know the same ones that know which oil is best for your engine) decided only a few threads were enough to hold the plugs in. The next genius fixed the problem by redesigning the plugs and threads so they break off when taking them out. LOL

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I've never seen or heard of a tech using an impact on a plug, that just doesn't make sense. I can't think of any benefit in time or effort.

It saves a min or two per cylinder during the removal and initial re-install process.

That's the problem with flat rate it encourages this sort of stuff, its a slippery slope once the mechanic finds these little money makers.
Running them down once properly started then tightening by hand is one thing but impacting them in is another. They start out doing it that way but its not long before they figure out 2 or 3 hits with the small impact is close enough.

I fully agree with what you said -- it's truly scary what the flat-rate world has conditioned techs to do.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The imports are seemingly "forgiven" for a raft of maladies,and that is what continues the thought process that imports are great,and domestic is junk.When all problems are tallied,none of them are any good.
So define
"domestic".

It seems open to a lot of opinions, but I look for a high domestic parts content from a union made traditional manufacturer (GM, Ford, Chrysler). Although Chrysler is majority owned by Fiat, they still use a lot of the the suppliers the other two use. Few cars are actually domestic anymore. They technically are required to have 75% domestic parts and assembled in the USA by a US manufacturer.

Given that I have utmost respect for Trav's expertise, I decided to let go of this car. I found out that the spark plug ejection repair was done just couple of hundred miles ago and was done using helicoil insert.

Funny part of this whole process was that if the dealer had not shown me the whole stack of paperwork, I would have had the car inspected by my mechanic and I would have definitely purchased it based upon the overall condition of the vehicle. We would have had no reason to suspect anything or to get the compression test done. Besides, given that the plugs are way down inside the engine, the helicoil presence would not have been obvious unless somebody was specifically looking for it.

- Vikas

I decided to let go of this car. I found out that the spark plug ejection repair was done just couple of hundred miles ago and was done using helicoil insert
- Vikas

Smart move IMO. That's possibly why this car was on the lot in the first place.

Interestingly, I also remember that the dealer had changed spark plugs before this incident. I think ejection happened right after that service but I do not remember the exact sequence.

Your point is valid that this is what broke the camel's back. The previous owner had spent literally thousands on maintenance and repairs at that Acura dealer. The spark plug ejection must have caused the owner to finally unload the vehicle.

It is a crying shame that the dealer essentially ruined this car first by not torquing the spark plug correctly and later by not doing the timecert. That stealer has earned his name :-( He did not own up to his first mistake either.

You would be surprised at the amount of botched repairs i run into. Believe it or not i see a lot of the work done at home by DIY that are better done than a lot of so called pro's.

I have used helicoil inserts for years on motorcycles, and cars. Like so many things it seems to rely on the skill of the person doing the repair as much as the type of repair. The clearance from insert to valve seat in many cases is quite close and the repair isn't easy. As Trav says sometime you just have to walk away, especially once the repair is botched.
YMMV
Smoky

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I use an impact for spark plug removal; an impact can really help to break any bond without pulling threads. I've never used one for installation, though.

A friend of mine, a technician, has had success removing plugs via impact gun on the modular Fords that are notorious for stripping threads upon removal. Apparently, it's the recommended method by those 'in the know'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back