Castrol Magantec best synthetic for the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple if your OEM manual doesn't call for full syn Magnatec is better value with correct OCI for vehicle conditions and use.

Consult the BITOG manual and internet engineers myth syn then syn is better value for money.

Too many qualify best without reference to other factors.

Last edited:
Magnatec is group III, I think it's a good oil but it's not the best. I use it in a high mileage van (Vito V6 diesel) with short change intervals, but I prefer to use edge 0w40 in the cars.

Yeah same here. Waste of a trip!

Originally Posted By: TTK
@Benito
Been there - done that. Doesn't say a think about oils superior to Magnatec.

Originally Posted By: Najarro
Magnatec is group III, I think it's a good oil but it's not the best. I use it in a high mileage van (Vito V6 diesel) with short change intervals, but I prefer to use edge 0w40 in the cars.

In the U.S., Magn 5w-30 is a synthetic blend. It is a decent dexos1 level oil.
However, if you spend $9 more per 5-quart jug, you can get Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w-30 full synthetic, or the Edge 0w-40, both higher performing.

Penny pinchers: Magnatec or SuperTech
If you want higher performing oils, use Edge for a few dollars more.
16815.jpg

What's the difference between using oil that barely qualifies for the OEM's performance standard, and an oil that exceeds the standard?
Answer: I think it's mostly in the rings. Many times its been shown you'll get less deposits there using a full syn, or an 'Extended Performance' Mobil 1 or Edge flavor.
Also, the euro spec LL-01 is associated with the best performing.
Using the best can also mean the oil isn't as delapidated at the end of an OCI.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Using the best can also mean the oil isn't as delapidated at the end of an OCI.

And that you should therefore extend your OCIs to the point of equal dilapidation...all things being equal etal

Originally Posted By: Shannow
And that you should therefore extend your OCIs to the point of equal dilapidation...all things being equal etal

Disagree. Change at OEM (OLM) recommended intervals, using superior oil, and get less deposits on the rings over the life of the engine.
I know people often think its a waste to use Extended Performance or euro oils for Chevy/Holden/Ford/Honda oil change intervals. I like using a better oil at normal OLM intervals myself for better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back