Made it 30 days smoke free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic some, but I've long believed that consensus on an internet forum is not possible. This thread is, so far, proving otherwise. This thread is an example of the best of BITOG, a collection of people who, while not always agreeing with each other, demonstrate their care for the well-being of others. All of the uplifting that's going on in this thread is encouraging.

Social Security doesn't like you to quit, if you don't, they get to stop paying you early and keep more of your contribution. AND, you pay all those taxes on the coffin nails while alive.

Last edited:
My first wife had cancer. It was a very ugly disease and it was beyond terrible to watch her die from it. She was a smoker, started when she was 14 years old. I started when I was 17. Seeing all the very sick people at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa and watching cancer kill my wife really made me want to quit. She was only 38 when she died. My other main motivation to quit was and still is my daughter. She was 12 when her mom died and I swore to myself she would not have to watch me die like that. I don't ever want to be a burden to her or my current wife.

I smoked about one cigarette a month for the first 3 months of Chantix. After 6 months of the stuff, I became a Chantix abuser instead. My NP told me to stop taking them. I havent had one in a month and I haven't a single craving for nicotine since I stopped the Chantix cold turkey. I probably have emphysema from over 50 yrs of smoking. I started at 6. Even after beating breast cancer, I was smoking. I'd quit, then I'd get stressed. and back slide. If I fall of the wagon, I'll be up to a pack a day in a week. The next thing I'll be huffing is an O2 bottle

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Today is day 30 and I dont miss cigarettes. I feel better and have had virtually no side effects. For anyone wanting to quit its possible. Quit drinking beer Wednesday so I'm on my 30 day voyage right now. Anyone got any good stories on quiting I would love to hear your story too.

No beer and no coffee for me worked. Just prior to quitting, I taught myself mentally to hate them. Hate the cost of each pack - hate the smell on my clothes - hate the smell of smoke on others as I either talk to them, or pass them in close proximity.

You can do it. But beware! 30 days is not anywhere long enough to rule yourself smoke-free. You will get occasional desires to light-up for almost two years.

Good luck and never light another cigarette ever again. Keep the fight - Keep the faith.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Today is day 30 and I dont miss cigarettes. I feel better and have had virtually no side effects. For anyone wanting to quit its possible. Quit drinking beer Wednesday so I'm on my 30 day voyage right now. Anyone got any good stories on quiting I would love to hear your story too.

Congrat's on your 30 days. Stay with it and don't even take ONE smoke or you will fall back into it. Smoking is very bad for you and no one should do it. It is a personal choice, and I will defend a person's right to do it( just don't make me breathe your second hand smoke and we are good ), but the things it can do to your health just make it not worth the risk.

My Dad smoked for 55 years. He tried off and on to quit as I grew up but never made it. After my Mother passed he got really depressed and started smoking really heavy. He was coughing and hacking all the time. I finally got him to quit for his health. I admit I guilted him into it by saying "we just lost Mom and we don't want to lose you too".

He quit using the patch. Nicoderm or some such name. 1st couple days were hard but then it got easier and easier. Once he was through with the patches he never smoked again or even wanted to. He said the smell of them made him sick. If we went into a smoker's house he complained( after )about the smell. If we walked by a smoker outside he would complain about the smell from their clothes and such. He finally saw what we all had told him for years about the smell in the house, on our clothes, etc...

It turns out it was lucky he quit when he did. He was diagnosed with mild emphysema. Doctor said if he had smoked another 6 months it would have been bad news. He lived 18 years after he quit( 89 )and never needed 02 or really had too much trouble with his lungs. He did have to use an inhaler at night before going to bed the last few years but overall he was very lucky.

The best and easiest way to quit smoking( or drinking or drugs for that matter )is to just not start.

EDIT - forgot to add I just lost my Brother-In-Law to lung cancer about 2 months ago now. He was a heavy smoker his whole adult life. He died in his early 60's. Was not a happy or peaceful end either. he died in a nursing home( Hospice Care )with the cancer spread throughout his body and in a LOT of pain and agony. It took him over a week to pass and he was in constant paint the entire time.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Marco.

You don't need to be a slave to nicotine any longer. All you have to do is stay away from one cigarette--the first one. Like many have said, food will start to taste better and you'll be repulsed by the smell of smoke. You'll also quit coughing up "stuff" after awhile.

When the urge to smoke comes, put something else in its place. I found that grapefruit juice helped at the beginning. This is also a good time to start some new habits--start working out, or walk a mile every evening, or start jogging. (When your neighbors stop and ask what you're running from, say "My first heart attack.") Adding new healthy habits will make it easier to avoid going back to the old unhealthy ones.

Keep it up!

I only smoked for 35 years or so. When I quit, I was hungry all the time. Gained 50lbs or so.

My advice is watch what you eat, fat doesn't come off easily.

i quit 3 days before my 48th birthday. i had a major heart attack 3 bypass and it's been 7 years. quitting cold turkey was fine for me it is hard but anyone can do it. the smell from someone that has smoked a cigarette is appalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back