2008 Camry V6 - Found lots of issues during 60k service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
A lot of issues for a 7 year old car? Throw a belt and a set of brakes on it, and that intermediate shaft is a known problem.

Those are not oil leaks, oil leaks don't count unless they make a mess on the ground.

I agree, but you have to remember that the measuring stick on the internet for Toyota is that it needs nothing but oil changes for the first 200k miles.

My first car was a 93 Camry and was a solid car. Every Toyota product I have been around since has been underwhelming.

They break, unlike what the interweb claims they do indeed break just like every other car.

At least GM fixed a lot of their [censored] intermediate shafts under warranty. Toyota at least in my experience told owners to pound sand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest
aftermarket ones are not as soft-riding as some riders would expect them to be -- in my case: Monroe OEspectrum replacements struts give a firmer ride on my wifey's camry (I reuse the springs).

That's interesting -- this is the first time I've heard of OESpectrum units not riding like the originals. It's been posited by a number of folks that the OESpectrum dampers are the original equipment supplier units simply re-packaged as a Monroe. Is it possible that the new ones rode firmer simply because they were new, and not necessarily because they were different?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
aftermarket ones are not as soft-riding as some riders would expect them to be -- in my case: Monroe OEspectrum replacements struts give a firmer ride on my wifey's camry (I reuse the springs).

That's interesting -- this is the first time I've heard of OESpectrum units not riding like the originals. It's been posited by a number of folks that the OESpectrum dampers are the original equipment supplier units simply re-packaged as a Monroe. Is it possible that the new ones rode firmer simply because they were new, and not necessarily because they were different?

RE: OESpectrums being repackaged OE units, not always so.

My experience with OESpec stuff (I tend to do about 2 to 3 cars RE: full struts/shocks replacements every year) is quite positive, with those whose originally on KYBs, OESpectrums are, for the most part, repackaged KYBs.

(in the case of my BIL's MPV that I did with OESpec a month ago: the front struts are genuine KYB Jpn replacements; and the rears are US Tennaco house brands)

In the case of Toy (esp. the OE-Sach ones), the replacment units are definitely not-Sach but supplied by some US suppliers (made in US).

Since nowadays struts/shocks are dual mode (there's the soft valving and there's the high-speed valving within, as opposed to single valve from shocks/struts from days of yore); it's hard to differentiate the difference after replacing the shocks/struts until you've taken the vehicle on a high speed/low speed ride and compare with factory originals.

Another good example was that when I did my Mazda B3 earlier with Monroe high end replacement rear struts (original was some Korean made stuff to Mazda specs), the ones that I got has VAG stamping on them, and they were from Austria...

Go figure.

Q.

I put a set of Monroe OESpectrums on our shop's loaner car since they were free -- thanks to the lifetime warranty. The previous owner had a set installed at some point (we got the car with 98k on it) and the Monroes had not been on there for that long...maybe 40-50k?
Originally Posted By: mehullica
Timing cover might be leaking. For sure the right inner cv boot is slinging grease onto the block

Definitely a leak from the camshaft housing. I didn't see the grease on the right-side inner cv boot but I'll have to take a closer look again once I get it back on the lift.

Let's just say that the car was downright dangerous to drive. Any hard stop, at any speed would cause serious bouncing. So at about 107k, I replaced all four worn struts with a new set of Monroe OESpectrum that were given to us for free under warranty. After the replacement and alignment, the car rode fairly firm but comfortable. Almost stereotypical KYB firm.

Earlier this week, I did a brake job on the car and road tested it. The car currently has 113k on it, so 6k since replacement. The shocks felt like they had 60,000 miles on them. Lots of body roll, slow responses, some swaying.

Pretty pathetic performance, if you ask me...

Originally Posted By: JustinH
We have a 2008 Matrix and all the struts look like that. 68k original miles.

Ours has had a much different life, potholes in Buffalo, NY.

Critic, do you recommend the Monroe Quick Struts for replacement, or would you take apart the assembly and replace all the parts?

I am leaning towards the quick struts because they are $100 each, and they include the mounts and spring all in one item.

Less labor, and cheaper than going OEM.

Also, ours is not a high $$$ car. Maybe worth 7 or 8 grand.

I wouldn't do it, those pre-assembled strut assemblies tend to feature springs with incorrect spring rates and often do not differentiate between the different trim levels and vehicle equipment options.

I would get the Genuine Toyota struts if they are in your budget, if not, KYB Excel-G.

Just get new boots from the dealer and nothing else; at your mileage, the strut mount bearings should still be fine. Pep Boys will swap out the springs for you for $20/strut, which is well worth it if you do not have a proper strut machine.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I put a set of Monroe OESpectrums on our shop's loaner car since they were free -- thanks to the lifetime warranty. The previous owner had a set installed at some point (we got the car with 98k on it) and the Monroes had not been on there for that long...maybe 40-50k?
Originally Posted By: mehullica
Timing cover might be leaking. For sure the right inner cv boot is slinging grease onto the block

Definitely a leak from the camshaft housing. I didn't see the grease on the right-side inner cv boot but I'll have to take a closer look again once I get it back on the lift.

Let's just say that the car was downright dangerous to drive. Any hard stop, at any speed would cause serious bouncing. So at about 107k, I replaced all four worn struts with a new set of Monroe OESpectrum that were given to us for free under warranty. After the replacement and alignment, the car rode fairly firm but comfortable. Almost stereotypical KYB firm.

Earlier this week, I did a brake job on the car and road tested it. The car currently has 113k on it, so 6k since replacement. The shocks felt like they had 60,000 miles on them. Lots of body roll, slow responses, some swaying.

Pretty pathetic performance, if you ask me...

Originally Posted By: JustinH
We have a 2008 Matrix and all the struts look like that. 68k original miles.

Ours has had a much different life, potholes in Buffalo, NY.

Critic, do you recommend the Monroe Quick Struts for replacement, or would you take apart the assembly and replace all the parts?

I am leaning towards the quick struts because they are $100 each, and they include the mounts and spring all in one item.

Less labor, and cheaper than going OEM.

Also, ours is not a high $$$ car. Maybe worth 7 or 8 grand.

I wouldn't do it, those pre-assembled strut assemblies tend to feature springs with incorrect spring rates and often do not differentiate between the different trim levels and vehicle equipment options.

I would get the Genuine Toyota struts if they are in your budget, if not, KYB Excel-G.

Just get new boots from the dealer and nothing else; at your mileage, the strut mount bearings should still be fine. Pep Boys will swap out the springs for you for $20/strut, which is well worth it if you do not have a proper strut machine.

Recommending a pro-install of springs is well-said...as well as going with OEM/KYB struts...there are too many things that can go wrong with a self-install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back