Car and truck differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 1978 Cadillac Sedan DeVille is a truck. Don't believe me? Put it up on a lift and look at the from underneath. You'd swear you were looking at a pickup truck.
grin2.gif

To me, anything that is restricted from the left lane on the freeway and risks being fined for doing so in some areas, or has to operate at a lower max speed on the freeway than the auto speed limit in many areas, is the base line for being a truck. So, what passes in the general view as a truck is a pickup. Frame or not. Separate box or part of cab body. But i come at this from a skewed position. I own and operate semi trucks. When I see the "trucks use left (or right) lane in a construction zone, I don't see folks with pickups adhering to it. They don't think they have a truck either. So why should I?

Did own a '73 El Camino 454 SS. Never considered it to be more than a car with a cargo area. My 2015 2500HD is a just a pickup. A pickup is just a car on steroids.

It's all very relative. My Sedona minivan is rigged out with an 8' ladder on the roof, air helper springs in the rear, and cargo in the cabin with most seats removed. Many of my friends, coworkers, and customers call it a truck. I even do sometimes, it just sounds tougher
thumbsup2.gif
Still looks like a minivan though, but is used for work purposes most of the time; so maybe the use can help classify a vehicle.

TiredTrucker, I think you are taking it too 'word for word' . By that I mean, it is understood that pretty much only tractor/trailers use the weigh stations even though they state something along the lines of 'all trucks must exit'.

No, not just tractor trailers. Straight trucks also use weigh stations. Even those guys with pickups towing travel trailers from manufacturers to dealers are required to cross weigh scales. Anything involved in commercial hauling has to cross a scale unless told to bypass. Even a farmer with a dually pickup and a gooseneck livestock trailer. All of these, because of being commercial uses, fall under Federal Motor Carrier or State DOT guidelines. Tough to consider the 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup that is used to commute to work and haul a lawn mower to repair shop a "truck".

No, in many locations, "trucks" are required to stay out of the left lane of travel. St. louis, Chicago, Kanas City, LA, ad nauseam. And in many locations, they are required to operate at lower speeds than cars/pickups. And in just about all locations, simple infractions carry a larger fine and more penalties than driving a car or pickup. Has absolutely nothing to do with being a semi truck and trailer. It is set by states based on weight, number of axles, etc. For instance, some states say vehicle with more than 6 tires. Some if the empty weight is over 4 tons. Some if there is more than 2 axles.

Never understood why no company will touch ya with a following too close citation, but all else seems like fair game.

Also, how come if you speed down the interstate highway system on your scooter, WhY do they consider it the same as in your 18-wheeled rig?

Last edited:
While I like El Camino's, ground clearance isn't so great for truck work. A publication once said "they aren't a good truck and they aren't a good car." That said, I'd have one any day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back