An Advanced Course on Lubricated Wear (PP preso)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last line is the money line.

"Antifriction coatings reduce dependency on additive package in oils
allowing safe transition to environmentally savvy, low viscosity lubricants
with reduced additive content."

Last edited:
Very helpful to the uneducated but interested layman. Many thanks. I too wonder about the surface manufacture/prep as an aid to this increasingly lightweight world.

MoDTC and the others don't last beyond 2000 miles in a typical motor oil? that spiked my interest, and possibly explains why Redline and some Japanese spec oils use a lot of moly - to extend the useful life.

Haha, what I have been saying for years:

Quote:
Not one single test can determine the lubricant’s ability to function in real applications and many tests are done for specification and/or marketing purposes only.

If lubrication engineers and mechanical engineers were better educated in tribology and tribologists were better educated in lubrication engineering, many open technical problems of today related to friction and wear could have been solved a long time ago.

B
Originally Posted By: Danno
Last line is the money line.

"Antifriction coatings reduce dependency on additive package in oils
allowing safe transition to environmentally savvy, low viscosity lubricants
with reduced additive content."

Here is one that the racing community has been using for years. That well known non-chemist Mike Kojima introduced this to SR20 users in the late 90's.
wink.gif
Many, not me, used them then and continue to do so. They have some readable documentation that looks worthwhile. I don't know how scalable their process is but would hope that the ~$50/piston cost could be reduced. Good quality stuff.

http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/automotive-coatings/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
]You mean to tell me !ubrication engineers and tribologists have completely different fields of study?

No, they have many common fields of study.

What he is saying is that each area of study needs to broaden their areas of study for more overlap, and communicate better across those areas of study.

Last edited:
The way I think, an increase or decrease in connecting rod length changes so many things from piston side loading to intake velocity.

Someone else may look at the relationship between bearing clearance, journal size, rpm and shear rate.

Lucky thing, before computers you had me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back