Pork belly in cider

Status
Not open for further replies.
My turn tonight (Saturday), and we were at ALDI and they had some good looking pork belly...I like leg roasts, but the 4 of us and a 7-800g piece of Pork belly gives no wastage.

Decided to drop the seasonings altogether, and get back to simple flavours before upping the ante on flavour in future endeavors.

Took the oval casserole dish (like this one)

2052.jpg

And flipped it upside down, placing the pork belly meat side down in it...filled it to 1/4" below the lip with a dry alcoholic cider, and put the base on top as a steamer roof.

Into the oven at 180F for 3 hours, topped up the cider once (took an entire stubby, 375ml over the whole process).

At 2.5 hours, put on some potatoes, butternut pumpkin (squash in some eyes), brown onions into a baking tray with some duck fat, and put them in alongside the still steaming pork.

At 3 hours, took the "dome" off the pork, and raised the temperature to 220F to crisp up the pork crackling.

Put down a bed of brussels sprouts in the middle of the nearly baked potatoes, and placed the pork atop the sprouts, trying to cook them in the pork flavours, but protect them a tad from the blast of het at 220F.

Took the cider from the baking container into a small frypan, brought it to the boil, and added a pink lady apple, chopped medium fine, and cooked it down to a glaze with apple chunks...added a teaspoon of grainy mustard just as it became a glaze and mixed it through.

Pork crackling worked well, the pork meat itself was close to pulled pork in consistency, could be pulled into strings, but didn't fall apart. Inverted the pork on the chopping board, cut through the meat to the crackling, then a blow to the back of the knife with a rolling pin cut the crackling neatly.

Pork, roast potatoes, pumpkin, onion and brussels sproats, and a little broccolini, with a mustard apple and cider (call it a chutney maybe ??) for the pork.

My son is a foodie and is into barbecue and /or pulled pork. I will send him your menu. Even the veggies sound good. I'm a big roasted veggie fan. Brussels sprouts are good raw, so the less cooking they get, the better. Winter squash is great eating. Except for pumpkin or acorn that you have to gussey up with butter, spices and sugar, because they are so bland. Go for a butternut or a horrible looking Hubbard. Much better eating.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Sounds great. My wife does something similar with oven baked pork roast alongside vegetables in a glass casserole. She uses apple juice instead of hard cider. Adult beverages are reserved for consumption and not cooking ingredients in my house.
grin.gif

When cooking with cider, beer, or wine you're really looking for the flavorings resulting from the activity of the yeast on the fermentable sugars. The alcohol boils off at around 170°F. The flavorings from the source ingredients remain as well.

Mmmmm... pork belly.

It's actually reasonably difficult to come by here in the States, unless you have a specific source. Most pork belly gets turned into bacon over here, so it's even sometimes hard to find at an actual butcher.

I "discovered" pork belly over the course of a couple trips to China. Not by coincidence, I was able to find it locally at an asian market that recently opened.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Dinner at Shannows next Saturday YUM!!

Added some more flavours this Saturday night.

Did the pork the same way, but in a dry pear cider. When it came time to crisp the crackling, I belted it to 240, but left it sitting in cider rather than atop vegetable.

Made a ratatouille with a little olive oil, a couple of brown onions, and some garlic. When soft/white, added 3-4 anchovies, and the oil that came with them, and a about 1/4 cubic inch of truffle. Couple of good grinds of black pepper, a little sage and a little tarragon.

Then added a diced large eggplant (aubergine) and sauteed it for a while to soak in the flavours. When the eggplant had browned and softend a little, added a tin (lb) of crushed tomatoes, and a coarsely ground yellow, and a red bell pepper.

When hey were done, sauteed a pink lady, diced small, in a couple of anchovies and their oil, and 1-1/2 teaspoons of wholegrain mustard. Added the porky cider, and reduced.

Balance was better than last week, a bit more acid with the ratatouille, and no starches was a nice change...lots of nightshades.

Very interesting. Our local stores are about a fourth that size. 3 main aisles with the dairy and meat in the back. I was tempted to try their steaks, but they sadly have an ingredients label so I passed. Perhaps that is different in Australia?

dlundblad,
I'm pretty sure they are different.

Even the ground beef is grass fed, and is actually ground, not the stringy stuff that I dislike from the others...and doesn't make water in cooking like the others...doesn't seem to have the carbon monoxide in the packaging either.

Thought today was an appropriate day to cook a great big slab of pork belly in cider.

Went to the local free range butcher, he brought out a side, and we chose the piece under the ribs, where there's like 2-3 layers of meat...free range was quite lean.

It's simmering in the oven with some "Dirty Granny" cider, and will be finished over charcoal with some bourbon barrel smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back