Oil heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of adding an oil pan heater before this coming winter. My truck is kept outside and last winter here in Western MA it got real cold although I am sure not as cold as some of you out there. There are a few manufactures that make a model that just sticks to your oil pan with some sort of industrial adhesive and heats the oil. They are not that expensive around $100.00. Other then quicker starts do you think this would result in less engine wear since the oil would be already warm on start up? Do you think its worth it?

I don't think it's worth it for anti wear. Maybe for easier starts. It's not just the initial purchase, you're burning energy to keep the pan warm and most of that energy is bleeding off into the atmosphere. I can see it if you have a hard starting diesel or you live somewhere where it gets to 40 below, otherwise - no.

I bought Kat's silicone pan heaters for my cars and it does make easier starts. Easy to install, too.

I bought the universal 4" x 5" 150 watt for the E450 and 100W for the Accord. Less than $30 each on Amazon Prime.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I was thinking of adding an oil pan heater before this coming winter. My truck is kept outside and last winter here in Western MA it got real cold although I am sure not as cold as some of you out there. There are a few manufactures that make a model that just sticks to your oil pan with some sort of industrial adhesive and heats the oil. They are not that expensive around $100.00. Other then quicker starts do you think this would result in less engine wear since the oil would be already warm on start up? Do you think its worth it?

Are we talking gas or diesel? Synthetic oil makes a difference in your ability to crank over an engine in the winter. I put a freeze plug block heater in my diesel Rabbit years ago.

Oil pan heaters are very inefficient as a large percentage of the heat never reaches the engine but they do make some difference. Perhaps they raise the engine temp 5 degrees F. A block heater that screws into the block or replaces a frost plug is more efficient raising the temp of the engine by 30-40 degrees F. Either heater should be put on a timer so as to run for only 2-4 hours before using the vehicle. Used correctly, enough fuel will be saved to more than pay for the electricity used. A rich fuel mixture is not good for the oil/engine and any block heater will reduce the length of time the engine runs rich.

You need to try and determine how effective whatever model you are considering will actually be in terms of raising the temperature of your oil. If it is really cold, below 0 fahrenheit, I think a heater would definitely extend the life of your engine. In terms of how much wear is saved versus the cost of the electricity, I have no idea. I do think that you would need to burn one [censored] of a lot of electricity though to offset the cost of a new engine which I understand can easily be 10k and sometimes way more than that.

I recommend oil pan heaters and block coolant heaters. I only think it is worth it if you use both together.

If you have an iron pan, magnetic heater is an option.

I used to set a timer for about 30 minutes prior to commute time. Didn't see the need for any more time than that for good quick oil pressure, quieter engine, and quicker warm up.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
I recommend oil pan heaters and block coolant heaters. I only think it is worth it if you use both together.

I used to set a timer for about 30 minutes prior to commute time. Didn't see the need for any more time than that for good quick oil pressure, quieter engine, and quicker warm up.

In Florida ?

My guess is he didn't used to live in Florida.

My Charger has a heater in its dry dump oil tank, but that's because 5 gallons of oil takes a while to get up to temp. I didn't actually go out of my way to get one. Came with the tank. Makes it less time waiting to get on her real good. I would hardly call it necessary.

I agree...

If you DO use a pan heater, as soone as the oil hits the cold engine, it's nearly as cold as it would have been in the first place.

True to some extent, but at least it is getting to where it is supposed to go quickly. Much better flow thru the filters and get to the top of the motor. When away from the house, on the road, with my semi truck, I have a portable generator that keeps batteries up and provides hotel load for the sleeper via a Xantrex inverter/charger. I also have a Wolverine heater in the oil pan. Doesn't use much power. The engine starts noticeably better just using the oil pan heater. Sure, the ideal would be to also have engine pre-warmed, and as soon as I get a Webasto or similar diesel fired coolant heater installed, that will help. But the pan heater is definitely a plus on those very cold mornings. Better than a poke in the eye.

TiredTrucker, I've never operated anything colder than -10C, so will defer to your experiences.

I'd guess a couple of gallons of oil noticeably warmer then ambient would also heat up at least the bearing and crank areas making for better cranking/starting.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

In Florida ?

I've lived all over the country and have adapted myself, housing, and my vehicles to ANY climate. Maine/VT/NH winters need a good woman to keep you warm, a good synthetic to get the vehicle started, and pan/block heater to treat the engine the way the woman treats you.

I tried the Kat's oil pan heater. On a forklift that wouldn't start because it was 5°F out. If you're considering a heater, don't wait until it's too cold out for the adhesive to adhere properly. I later added a coolant heater (Kat's 13100) and it helps control condensation buildup when it gets too cold that the forklift isn't run long enough to warm up fully otherwise. Plus it will actually start, since warm coolant is required to boil the liquid propane.

And my '99 F550 came with a block heater, and pretty much won't start without it in the winter. I have used the Kat's oil pan heaters in another application, I stuck it to a big heat sink and dipped it in grinding coolant so I could sharpen sawmill band blades in the winter. 150 watts works well and a GFCI plug means I won't get any nasty surprises.

As for use on an actual vehicle, 15 minutes at 1000 watts seems to do the job better than 2 hours at 150 watts, especially for $50, although installation of a block heater or recirculating tank isn't as easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back