OEM brake rotors and pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always use OEMs brake rotors and OEM ceramic pads on my Toyota's and the results are the best, short breaking distances, minimal (or nothing) of brake dust and never any strange sound coming from the brakes. Would better results be found in any remplacement-brand of pads and rotors? Why should I use non-OEM products for the brakes?

OEM stuff is nearly always best, unless you plan on track days.

Wildwood, Tarox and AP have some of the best calipers, discs and pads in the world and would far out-break your OEM stuff, but at a much higher price.

The aftermarket Centric 125 series or 120 series rotors work just as well as the Genuine Toyota ones for a lot less money.

For pads, the real OE Toyota stuff (not the TCMC kits) are pretty hard to beat. I always use new fit kits with each brake job, and shim kits every other time. If price is a concern on certain Toyota/Lexus applications, I use the Akebono ProACT - but still use the Genuine Toyota hardware.

I'm partial to Brembo rotors and Akebono Ceramic pads for my Toyota's. Both high quality and better prices than OEM. It ticks me off that living in the rust belt, I have to pay Toyota extra for shims that come free with the Akebono Ceramic pads.

Another option is to find bigger brakes off a different Toyota with the same stud pattern etc. depending on what Toyota yours is you might fit Supra or Celica calipers, discs and pads, which could be better than your stock stuff.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Another option is to find bigger brakes off a different Toyota with the same stud pattern etc. depending on what Toyota yours is you might fit Supra or Celica calipers, discs and pads, which could be better than your stock stuff.
The Toyota front hub is common to many FWD Toyota models. I've got ES 300 brakes on one of my I4 Camrys. Whatever Toyota
puts in their pads the aftermarket guys can copy. I have been using aftermarket since the REPCO days and now use EBC, and on my bike as well.

My cheapo power-stop rotors with acdelco pads are giving me amazing performance for the money.

I got the pads on sale on amazon for $7 an axle (reg $35) and the rotors were $70 an axle.

For Toy: Advics (sometimes could have been repackaged Sumitomo) are one of the best aftermarket ones I used.

For Honda: Akebono ProACTs is the only aftermarket ones I used.

For others: whatever I can get my hands on.

Q.

Originally Posted By: car12
...Why should I use non-OEM products for the brakes?
Can't go wrong imo with OEM rotors and pads. However 'if' cost is a consideration you may be able to do just as well with aftermarket rotors and pads for significantly less money.

Others already have given some aftermarket alternatives which could meet your needs for significantly less money.

Personal anecdotes: I'm using Akebono ProAct pads on two Hondas at this time, and finding them very comparable to OEM for less money.

Also currently using AAP Wearever rotors and Wagner Thermoquiet front pads (from Amazon) on a Tacoma. Seem to be functioning well at a significant savings.

So if money no object, use oem. But with some research and perhaps using some suggestions here, might save you some $$$ with equivalent performance.

From what I've seen on eBay, TCMC brake pad kits==Akebono ProACT. It's funny how Toyota uses a dual-shim setup on the OEM pads(and they can come from Akebono, NBK, Advics or Brembo depending on model), while they use the single rubberized shim on the "value" line.

FWIW, I have Bendix pads and cut OEM rotors on my parent's van and so far so good. I told a friend if the ThermoQuiets we've put on his Forester have ever so slightly a peep, we're putting Akebonos on - the Wagners are dimensionally different than the OEM Subaru pad made by NBK, the pad ears are short by 2mm.

Akebono are hard to beat if you are not towing. They are OEM on about half the cars out there. The Proact is a cheaper version but still very good. Last I recall the Camry, Corolla and Sienna all has the same pads and rotors. Material was different for the Sienna to last longer but was slightly noisier on the cars.

When Ford changed the body style for the 04-08 years the 04 brakes left so much dust on the rims you would have thought an 04 F150 came from the factory with stock black rims.
grin.gif

With the 05's and later F150's Ford updated the brake material in the pads. They still left a little bit of dust but it was decreased by at least 90% or more.
I changed my front factory pads at 92K miles and the pads still had at least 3-4 mm of pad left on them. I replaced the rears at 118K miles and they still had at least 4 mm of pad left on them. I chose Wagner Thermo-Quiets for both front and rear. They leave virtually no dust at all on the rims.

Originally Posted By: Quest
For Toy: Advics (sometimes could have been repackaged Sumitomo) are one of the best aftermarket ones I used.

I've had issues with all of the Advic pads from Toyota on a variety of different platforms. Common issues I've seen are noise (usually as a result from glazing) and pad deposits. I had this problem on my own Prius that I admit to driving a bit too aggressively; the Akebono ProACT pads I installed recently seem to work much better from the pad deposit and noise standpoint.

Originally Posted By: nthach
From what I've seen on eBay, TCMC brake pad kits==Akebono ProACT. It's funny how Toyota uses a dual-shim setup on the OEM pads(and they can come from Akebono, NBK, Advics or Brembo depending on model), while they use the single rubberized shim on the "value" line.

There seems to be a lot of complaints about the TCMC kit, mainly around noise. If you look at the number that is stamped onto those TCMC kits, the material is not the same as the one that is used by the ProACT line. In addition, the price of the TCMC kit is often substantially lower than the ProACT line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back