Chrysler spec MS-6395

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been in WalMart looking at oils and Castrol Edge black bottle and Mobil Super don't show that spec on the label but on their website they do show it. There were some other oils that didn't show it on the bottle either but I haven't looked at their websites to see if it lists it. Wonder why they don't put it on the bottle if it meets or exceeds it.

Last edited:
There's nothing special about MS-6395, unless I've missed something over the past 4 years of Chrysler ownership.

I've simply used a dexos approved oil in my last 2 Chryslers, the latest which is still under warranty.

Over here all the Castrol Edge products seem to have mostly European specs, ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5, etc

The only Chrysler product I have seen recently is also a DEXOS product. Valvoline SynPower DX1 5W-30, rated API SN / CF, GF-5, DEXOS 1, GM 6094M / 7418M, FORD WSS M2C946-A / 2C929-A, Chrysler MS 6395.

Maybe you have this oil too. Here the SynPower costs less than Castrol Edge.

That Chrysler spec is supposedly pretty easy to meet. Even some of the cheapest conventional oils have no problem meeting that spec. I wouldn't really worry about, and I dont, as I have a Chrysler and could care less if my oil is labeled as meeting that spec or not.

I'd rather run a Dexos approved oil at a minimum to be honest.

Id stick with it for warranty purposes. Contrary to popular belief, a deal can/ will void your warranty because of using the wrong oil. They'll look for any excuse IMO.

Back when the 'rents had the rubicon, it saw nothing but M1 though.
27.gif

It shouldn't be too hard to find a oil that is both 6395 and DEXOS rated. Then you have it covered both ways.

About the specs. on the web site versus the bottle. Check the product ID number, if they are the same then it sounds like the web site is more up to date, and you should be good to go.

I am sooo glad that the commercial truck dealers and OEM's don't go around trying to play games with owners minds over oil selections. Specs are pretty uniform and most owners just concentrate on the CJ-4 spec for diesels and the API SN / ILSAC GF-5 specs on gas. I have never had a dealer or OEM question anything about what oil I was using, or even the viscosity for that matter. Cummins, Detroit, no one. Hardly anyone in commercial trucking give all this spec stuff more than a passing glance. Sure, Cummins has it CES20081 and Detroit has it's 93K218 spec, but they really don't waste a lot of the customer's time pushing it. As long as the oil follows the latest industry standards, the dealers and OEM's are happy.

So, I carry that mindset over to what I put in my 2015 2500HD Silverado pickup. It just gets an oil that meets the current industry standard specs and I call it a day. It claims dexos1 compliance, but is not on the "approved" list and I don't lose one minute of sleep over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back