Ethanol treatment for low use weekend car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen positive things said about the Lucas product, Safeguard. Full disclosure - I haven't used it and am lucky enough to live where I can buy non-ethanol gas.

Go to pure-gas.org and see if E0 is available in your area. That's the best way to combat ethanol in your situation.

Originally Posted By: wowthisexists
I only go through a few tanks a year. Lots of sitting.
Add ethanol treatment? Which one?

Blue Stabil or Startron. Both are in the boat section of Walmart and other places. Startron is made for larger gas tanks that are in boats.

What about premium fuel...isn't that E0?

Premium fuel has E0 everywhere up in Canada...it is the fuel of choice in my atvs, lawnmower and weed whipper for that reason of non-frequent use. I found that if I don't use E0, the ethanol burns twice as fast and has less power when its older.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
every state in the usa can be different as to what grade of fuel has ethanol in it

It actually goes down to the county level.

Right. It is locality specific. In my area, we have E0 regular and premium, we also have E10 regular and Premium. And in the last year E15 regular. Along with all the other blends like E20, E30, and E85. We are fortunate that we have a smorgasbord of gasoline fuels available to satisfy everyone. Make it kinda nice, if one takes the time to determine their mpg on each fuel, then as prices fluctuate seasonally, they can run the fuel that costs them the less per mile to use. The best value for me most of this year has been E15. My smaller stuff like lawn mowers and portable generators seem to run better on E0 regular, but I have used E10 regular in them from time to time with no problems. Most of the time they get E0 regular. I haven't run premium in anything I have owned for decades.

In my state of MO. The letter of the written rfs is important, and to my knowledge it is applied state wide.

The only fuel that "may" be E0 is 91 or higher octane. This fuel was given the status of "exempt", however if you read further into the rfs, it states that "exempt" means that it is left up to the individual seller of the product as to whether he wants to mix in the ethanol. So basically, just because the rfs has "exempted" the 91 or higher ocatane fuel, does not mean you are automatically getting E0 in all 91 or higher octane fuel in my state. The rfs states that if said seller is selling E0 fuel in that 91 or higher octane fuel in the state of MO, it must be posted on the pump.

I have posted before on this and have provided links to the material referncing my state. Once again I close with the usual comment on how this rfs can vary from state to state and how everyone should become familiar with how it is being met in your particular state.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
In my state of MO. The letter of the written rfs is important, and to my knowledge it is applied state wide.

The only fuel that "may" be E0 is 91 or higher octane. This fuel was given the status of "exempt", however if you read further into the rfs, it states that "exempt" means that it is left up to the individual seller of the product as to whether he wants to mix in the ethanol. So basically, just because the rfs has "exempted" the 91 or higher ocatane fuel, does not mean you are automatically getting E0 in all 91 or higher octane fuel in my state. The rfs states that if said seller is selling E0 fuel in that 91 or higher octane fuel in the state of MO, it must be posted on the pump.

I have posted before on this and have provided links to the material referncing my state. Once again I close with the usual comment on how this rfs can vary from state to state and how everyone should become familiar with how it is being met in your particular state.

From an economic point of view it makes the least amount of sense to make 91 octane without ethanol. Ethanol is an extremely effective octane booster. However, it really does depend on the demand for higher octane in a particular area. Around here, there's a high proportion of European, performance, forced induction, etc cars that spec at least 91 octane and sometimes 93 octane (R+M)/2 unleaded. We had so much demand that about 15 years ago the standard premium fuel in California went from 92 to 91.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
What about premium fuel...isn't that E0?

Around me, no, all grades are E10 unless you seek out a racing, aviation, or Ethanol-free gas station (few and far between).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back