steering wheel won't return to center on it's own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this an alignment problem? The truck goes straight, but the steering feels loose when I go over bumps sometimes and also If I turn it past 80 percent all the way over the steering wheel won't come back to center on its own. It wants to keep going all the way over. Is this just an alignment problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this only happening since the caliper came loose? Don't leave details out if you want an accurate answer! Did you get a second opinion after Firestone said every part in the front end was bad?

Yes only since the caliper came loose. I have an appointment with a shop to have an alignment this week. The problem with this shop is it takes a week to get in since they are honest. I'm just trying to see if this is a common misalignment symptom or if something else is messed up. It mainly only does it on left turns, not so much on right turns.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Sounds like a caster angle issue

I just hope I don't need all the front end work they said.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Sounds like a caster angle issue

btw it did have a caster camber issue before all this happened which caused a slight pull to the left. Now after my little incident the truck drives straight.

My steering wouldnt return to center on a 4WD Tundra.
Turned out to be a lower ball joint.
Luckily it was also squeaking which was the big hint.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Did you get a second opinion after Firestone said every part in the front end was bad?

Jeez people, how many times I gotta tell you to never get a wheel alignment at a tire shop? Always go to a place that does strictly alignments. The best places are the frame and wheel shops that work on big rig trucks. They do chassis and suspension work and also pull frames back into alignment after the trucks have been in a wreck. Those guys are the best. Shouldn't be too hard to find one of those shops in Houston Texas. Just Google "wheel alignment houston texas."

You bent your knuckle/ spindle. It's subtle and won't show. I'd dig up a junkyard one, would hate to have a stress crack let go.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Always go to a place that does strictly alignments. The best places are the frame and wheel shops that work on big rig trucks. They do chassis and suspension work and also pull frames back into alignment after the trucks have been in a wreck. Those guys are the best.

Sure. I took my Class A motorhome to one of these big rig shops, and ended up having to take it back to them a second time... because the guy who was working on it was too stupid/too lazy to center the steering wheel, and finish his work.

Plus, they forgot to even road test it after completing their work, according to the odometer.

I don't know what would be the best thing to do. I have an appointment with a very reputable honest shop on Wednesday to have them do an alignment check and see what's going on. I did convince firestone by calling them up on the phone and explaining my concerns. At least they can do an alignment for free since I have my lifetime alignment. My main concern is that something might be bent or damaged that the first shop didn't catch. I just don't want to be on the side of the road again. Other than the steering wheel acting a little weird on turns it drives fine for the most part. I definitely won't let firestone put parts on my truck though.

Caster issue or dry tie rod/ balljoint they don't have to be noisy to be tight. Did Firestone at least show you what was loose?

Originally Posted By: hansj3
Caster issue or dry tie rod/ balljoint they don't have to be noisy to be tight. Did Firestone at least show you what was loose?

yeah both lower ball joints had a little play and a worn inner tie rod I think. He didnt check them right according to a friend of mine. He just put a pry bar under the tire when the front end was jacked up on the alignment rack and lifted the tire slightly to show a little play in the ball joints.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Sure. I took my Class A motorhome to one of these big rig shops, and ended up having to take it back to them a second time... because the guy who was working on it was too stupid/too lazy to center the steering wheel, and finish his work.

Plus, they forgot to even road test it after completing their work, according to the odometer.

Well, obviously your experience and my experience are very different. I always get my car aligned at Chick's Frame & Wheel in Fresno, CA. They align everything from Buick LeSabres to Peterbilts. They tell me which parts need replacing and I go home and change the parts. Last time they didn't even charge me an inspection fee because they trusted me enough to bring the car back for an alignment after I changed the parts. Awesome shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back