UOA Motul 300V 10W40, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest two UOAs on my shared sump V-Strom 650:

2015-06-20%20Blackstone%20Used%20Oil%20Analysis%20DL%20650_zpscsif5os6.jpg

As always, I'm wrapping up the OCI because I've never surpassed the mfg's recommended 3500 mi interval by this much before and I'm worried the wear contaminants might be reaching an unacceptable level. So baby steps for increasing the OCI. But as always, the shifting was wonderfully smooth the whole time, so no perception complaints.

In their comments, they are referring to what I did for my fresh fill, which will be in an upcoming UOA. It's a 50-50% blend of Motul 300V 10W40 and 15W50. The 15W50 is the reformulated ester core version. I'm doing that this summer because the sample from last summer sheared down to 11.58 cSt after 3500 miles, which was not a 40 weight anymore, so I felt worried (and determined to do something about it).

That is a really nice report. How come not just stick with the 10w40 and do 5000 mile runs, that appears do-able. It held up surprisingly well.

I think the heat from last summer was responsible for the reduction of viscosity in the UOA dated 8/3/2014. Because I fully expected the heat waves we got this summer, I thought that mixing in 50% 15W50 would keep the resulting UOA above the lower limit of 40 weight, in the likely event it shears this time. I think the upper limit for 30 weight in the VStrom is 86°F (30°C). We've had plenty of temps in the mid to high 90s this summer.

Unlike Larry / Busy Little Shop, I don't see the value of pushing the limits to get 3 extra hp and a miniscule increase in fuel economy. Also, with the relatively high price of this boutique oil, I'd like to get as much mileage per OCI as I can - and not have to dump it in less than 1k miles because of shear or contamination.

a very good point!! unless racing for $$$ that little xtra power means nothing. also the 1/4 mpg increase is nothing, manufactures care less when the warranty is gone hence the X-20 oils being recommended. ok in extreme cold but overall a 10-30 will do well in most car engines. i had been blending 10-40 + 20-50 amsoil for a happy medium but phasing out amsoil after believing they are blending most if not all group III oils now. Redline is taking over protecting my 106 cu Vic Hammer with oil shearing shared gearbox

Hi.

Why are you mixing 10W40 with 15W50 and not running only 10W50/15W50 for warm climate? It's pretty doable as stated on users manual.

Thanks.

[[]]

I am interested doing a 50/50 mix of 5/40 and 15/50 (motul 300V4T as well)

has anyone tried this?

what is SUS @ 210F?. I understand cst @ 100C. do they not do a visc @ 40C?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bonjo
What is SUS @ 210F?.

By definition is not SUS (Saybolt Universal Viscosity) taken at 38°C? So for Blackstone to indicate SUS at 212°F seems puzzling.

I am interested doing a 50/50 mix of 5/40 and 15/50 (motul 300V4T as well)
has anyone tried this?

On this OCI I am using 50-50 of Motul 300V 10W40 and 15W50. I've noticed more restrained acceleration - likely higher parasitic losses to contend with.
Preview of Motul 300V 15W-50 ester core VOA data to be included with my next UOA on the V-Strom 650:
cSt viscosity @ 100°C = 17.88
SUS viscosity @ 212°F = 89.6

do they not do a visc @ 40C?

They (Blackstone Laboratories) will do a viscosity measurement at 40°C if you pay them a little bit extra. However, because I live in a warm/hot climate, the approximate minimum startup temperature I will ride in is about 50°F (10°C) I feel I have no need to acquire that information.

BTW, my wording may have been confusing - only Motul 300V 10W-40 double ester was used in the UOA presented in this post.

by restrained acceleration, do you mean like oil drag (too high viscos?)
I have gone off the idea of mixing anyway!

I do not know why 40deg is chosen for measurement but you will find higher visc rating at this temp, will affect your fuel consumption while the engine is reaching its regular temp.

10deg is quite cold.

I have also read numerous times that cold start and warm up period are the maximum wear on an engine, for that reason I wouldn't want the cold temp visco to creep up with miles

On restrained acceleration, it's a question of degree - with the 300V 10W40 only the engine seems to have a little extra horsepower, maybe 2 or 3% more, it's audibly perceptible when winding above 6000 rpm with a high amount of throttle opening. It might only be worth 0.1 - 0.2 seconds in the quarter mile, but the 10W40 mixed with 15W50 leaves me pondering how much extra drag the increased visocity is taking to overcome.

For fuel economy, the 50-50% mix has me noticing about a 2 mpg loss - on a curvy residential boulevard stretch where I could get 65 - 67 mpg warm-hot weather, engine thoroughly warmed (running 45+ minutes before starting the run), I now get 63 - 65 mpg in the same operating conditions.

I have also read numerous times that cold start and warm up period are the maximum wear on an engine, for that reason I wouldn't want the cold temp visco to creep up with miles

I am not sure what cold temperature viscosity (within reason) has to do with wear. As long as the pressure at startup is less than the bypass pressure, oil pumps are positive displacement devices - for every rotation of the engine they deliver a fixed amount of oil into the oil passages.

With Motul 300V I don't worry about it in the least - the thing you are forgeting about high percentage ester oil: it has polar molecules which cling to surfaces it comes into contact with. It probably takes months for the oil to drain enough to lose a significant coating throughout the entire engine - that includes at the critical piston ring/ cylinder bore interface. If you operate the motor occasionally, it remains nicely coated.

I can understand the additional drag the higher visc creates at normal running temperatures but surprised you find it this noticeable.

I think it was motorex who partnered crescent Suzuki in the notional superbike championship claimed you can gain up to bhp by using race 0/30 grade. It is a choice/ adjustment between performance and protection depending on your needs.

I suspect your high mpg is the higher cold temperature of the 15/50. shame 300V isn't available in 10/50.
you can experiment with silkolen pro4+ 10/50

Originally Posted By: CentAmDL650

For fuel economy, the 50-50% mix has me noticing about a 2 mpg loss - on a curvy residential boulevard stretch where I could get 65 - 67 mpg warm-hot weather, engine thoroughly warmed (running 45+ minutes before starting the run), I now get 63 - 65 mpg in the same operating conditions.

Maybe your loss of mpg is due to a change in the gasoline, there are different formulations based on the seasons. Winter grades of gas (normally higher Reid Vapor for easier cold starting) give a little less mpg.

http://www2.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/gasoline-reid-vapor-pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back