30 years old with shingles outbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up this morning with a small rash on my right side and it has quickly spread and grown and I now have a patch below my right shoulder blade. The MD put me on anti-viral pills and gave me a norco to ease the pain so I can sleep. She said I am just in the beginning stages of my outbreak and to expect it to worsen in the coming days and last 14 days or so with the pain to remain for up to a few months due to the nerves being affected.

Anyone else here suffer from this garbage?. I had chicken pox when I was 4-5 years old. Now at 30 I have my first outbreak of shingles. The MD told me to expect this to be a recurring issue for me for the rest of my life.

I had been having some muscle ache type pains and random itch that just couldn't be satisfied on my back in the area of the patch back there. She said that most people have various symptoms before the actual outbreak occurs and that mine will probably be aches with a literal unsatisfiable itch due to the nerves being affected.

Yikes. I hope you feel better soon. Most get it past age 55-60 so 30 years old is not as common.

My mom had it 5 years ago, it looked like someone poured battery acid on her. Red bloody blistering rash on her back, chest and shoulder.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
did you dr. discuss the use of the shingles vaccine?

Yes, she said most insurances won't cover it until you are at least 50-60 and since I have already had an outbreak at such a young age she thought getting it now probably wouldn't do anything.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Yikes. I hope you feel better soon. Most get it past age 55-60 so 30 years old is not as common.

My mom had it 5 years ago, it looked like someone poured battery acid on her. Red bloody blistering rash on her back, chest and shoulder.
frown.gif

The MD said I was the 3rd youngest case she had ever seen with 23 & 26 being the other two.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
What type of diet?

Early break-out could also hint at immune system issues.

I am not Jack Lalanne but I eat a pretty balanced diet. Enjoying fresh garden veggies all summer.

The suppressed immune system is my major concern right now.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
My brother had Shingles in his early 30's as well, a lot of it is stress and immune system stuff...

Had some serious stress last week with work/life. Reviewed this with MD and she suspected it might have been a contributing factor.

I had chicken pox twice, as a baby and at 10 years old.

or would that make the second one shingles?
smile.gif

Someone I know has it currently shes 19 or 20

I got my shingles shot a couple of years ago after my BIL had an outbreak. His was on his scalp and face. He had a rough time with it. Sorry to hear you have them.

My son had shingles when he was 7...they stated that he was too young to have them, but couldn't come up with any excuse as to the pattern following the nervous structure, and had to accept that it was "shingles like virus", and followed the nerve structure.

Early last year I woke up with the left half my face paralysed, which was Bell's Palsy, again strongly linked to a shingles type process, but the nerve inflammation being the facial nerve where it passes through the ear opening in the skull.

It sucked, my face is nearly back, but still some lingering issues.

The virus will be hiding out in nerve endings the rest of your life (vaccine won't do anything from my reading)...

You typically have to be in a highly stressed state for it to attack...try to eliminate that if you can

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Early last year I woke up with the left half my face paralysed, which was Bell's Palsy, again strongly linked to a shingles type process, but the nerve inflammation being the facial nerve where it passes through the ear opening in the skull.

I had an episode of Bell's Palsy in my mid-30s. It resolved itself in about 14 days, treated with a 10 day course of anti inflammatory steroids. Glad to hear yours also progressed favorably. A small percentage of Bell's sufferers have lasting paralysis.

I believe I got shingles back when I was 22, at least that's what the doc thought it was. I thought I had another case coming just last week (29 years old now), but the initial irritation/bumps on my side went away after a couple of days. Back when I was 22 it was a really sensitive rash sort of thing on my side, right under my arm pit.

I had a bad case of shingles when I was about 24. Ten years later, and I haven't had another case, knock on wood.

At the time it came up, I was very stressed and run down due to work. Hopefully you're able to get your stress levels under control.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

It sucked, my face is nearly back, but still some lingering issues.

Shannow and anyone else with Bell's, my dad woke up one day with Bell's, his MD and a Neuro doc said nothing to do, let it run it's course. Some research found that acupuncture can help so he went to an acupuncture doc in Pittsburgh. After the first session it was 75% gone and after 2 or 3 more it was totally cured. If you can find a serious acupuncture doc, not someone who does it as an addition to their practice, it's not too late. Might take a few sessions but it will help.

Sorry for the hijack but my dad's recovery was amazing to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back