When you talk to one helpful service advisor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try to steer clear of the dealership but I bit the bullet recently when going in for some warranty work. The first SA I talked to on the phone was very knowledgeable, helpful and polite. I didn't know my immediate schedule so I said I'd call back again to make an appointment. When I did call back, he was off that day. The new SA I talked to was....interesting.

I had to re-explain everything to him (which is expected when dealing with multiple people; no problem). It took him 3 tries to get my name, number and car make/model right. It's ok; maybe he was new? But what really soured the experience was his attitude. He really didn't want to hear what I had to say, kept interrupting and said "Oh, since you discussed that with so and so, I don't know anything about that, blah blah." He wasn't willing to work with me at all, answering with mainly "yes" or "no." It's not like I was asking him to perform brain surgery. It was a simple warranty fix about a creaking door panel. At one point he even mentioned a diagnostic fee lol

It was obvious the guy didn't want to be there and wanted to get off the phone quickly. I try to be sympathetic and give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he had a long day? Perhaps it was a bad day?

Sadly, I can't say this is my first time dealing with such dealership personnel. Many I've come across are fine when it comes to scheduling routine things like oil changes, tire rotations, but the moment something extra is involved, watch out. Just reaffirms why I avoid dealerships whenever possible.

Moral of the story - When you get a hold of a helpful person on the phone for something, try to complete everything with them! The next person you talk to when calling back may not be so helpful.

END RANT.

Last edited:
Certain people or personality types just should not have jobs requiring them to interact with people. Some realize this and don't care, but some are seemingly unaware and don't realize that they suck at it and usually blame the other party for having awkward and difficult exchanges.

I once had a guy behind the counter at the DMV of all places, who was on the ball, listened closely, communicated clearly, and took care of my issue quickly and easily. I gave the guy a sincere Thank you! and firm handshake (which kind of threw him off, lol) when we were done. There aren't nearly enough people like that in customer service positions.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
"Service writers"- so called- work on commission. What's the commission on warranty work?

I didn't have any issues when BMW asked to replace a segment of battery cable under warranty.

There is definitely a difference between different advisors and technicians as well at the same shop. Whenever I find one I really like, I try to do everything through them. I extend that to the technicians as well. Just got my tires balanced and tech seemed especially thorough so when I take my wife's car in to that same shop, am going to request that same tech.

I guess I'm just incredibly blessed- my BMW dealer has a great service department that doesn't charge exorbitant amounts for maintenance or repairs. I even get a BMW loaner when I bring in my 140k mile 1995 Club Sport(which I didn't even buy there). My service advisor -a BMW CCA member and track geek- has never pushed any unnecessary work.

For example, when the "4X4 Fault" light illuminated on my son's X3 my advisor told me, "The system only stored one isolated fault- the steering angle sensor. I would not suggest replacing it- it's most likely just an isolated glitch." No charge for that diagnosis, either. And when my Club Sport was in for an Oil Service he told me, "The power steering return hose is slightly damp, but I wouldn't replace it until it starts to drip, and that probably won't happen for another 40,000-50,000 miles."

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
"Service writers"- so called- work on commission. What's the commission on warranty work?

Warranty is reimbursed by the mfg. So they get a percentage of that as well.
But some service writers are salary.

It's been years since I had a horrible experience with a dealer service dept. In the few times I've used them for service in the past 20yrs or so, it's been really good. This is with Ford, Chevy, Honda and Chrysler. If I had an issue with cost, they'd find solutions, such as suggesting aftermarket parts, etc.

I don't get into the nitty gritty details with a service advisor when I'm on the phone with them.

I will go and discuss with them IN PERSON. That way, I can be sure that I'M the only person that they're dealing with, and that they're not returning an email and sending a text message to their kid at the same time.

Just as w anything, I think it comes down to the person and the day.

That said, when The BMW Store in Cincinnati got BMWNA to pay for the entire replacement and upgrade for the torn subframe in my 328Ci (at the time I was 17yo, had bought the car elsewhere, and was out of any kind of warranty), all $15k+ of it, they earned a customer for life..!

If you truly find a helpful service adviser, get their name, rank, and serial number and keep it in your phone for future reference.
Because many are as useful as soggy paper towels in a flood and are as knowledgeable as a talking potted plant.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

I once had a guy behind the counter at the DMV of all places, who was on the ball, listened closely, communicated clearly, and took care of my issue quickly and easily. I gave the guy a sincere Thank you! and firm handshake (which kind of threw him off, lol) when we were done. There aren't nearly enough people like that in customer service positions.

This is VERY important, when you find truly helpful individuals in the customer service business you need to praise them and let them know how much you appreciate their assistance. Many times these people do a fine job but customers never recognize the "good ones" only to complain about the bad ones.

When working with shops I try and find small things I can do when I receive good or excellent service, like buy the guy a sandwich for lunch, buy some good beer, or donuts, ect, and make sure to praise them and tell them to keep up the good work. This kind of small thing goes a long way with people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back