0w-20 makes me wonder about 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read a bunch of posts both here and on other websites talking about how 0w-20 almost always outperforms 5w-20 (except in a hot running engine) in terms of engine wear because it flows so much sooner to coat the engine's parts thereby making for a shorter interval of oil starvation, especially when the weather is cold. Makes me want to switch both of my current cars from 5w-20 and 5w-30 to the zero weight versions since I want to extend the life of both as much as possible. Got me thinking however about VW and certain other cars that still recommend a lot of 5w-40. The 5w-40 has got to flow a whole lot slower than 5w-20 or 5w-30 and yet VW engines supposedly last about as long as others all of which use thinner oils. Doesn't make sense. How is this possible? Makes me wonder whether all the hype about how much better the 0w oils are has any substance to it. What do people think? How do 5w-40 engines survive given that the initial oil flow has got to be a lot less than in those using lower viscosities?

The VW502 spec allows for 0W40. I think the deal about VW and heavier oils is that Europeans accelerate faster, drive at higher speeds and tend to recommend longer drain intervals. Also, a 0W40 oil can be thinner at cold temps than a 5W30.

I'm sure in your cars owners manual there is some kind od chart that shows recomended oil viscosity v anticipated ambient temperatures, that you might use as a guide as to what oil you could use in your location.

It would be interesting if you could post it here.

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
I have read a bunch of posts both here and on other websites talking about how 0w-20 almost always outperforms 5w-20 (except in a hot running engine) in terms of engine wear because it flows so much sooner to coat the engine's parts thereby making for a shorter interval of oil starvation, especially when the weather is cold.

Perhaps only when the weather is cold, as in arctic cold, though.

Look at the specification for viscosity at 40 degrees C. 5wX should flow pretty much the same when cold no matter what X is. OwX will flow better when cold. Also keep in mind that in Germany, which is VWs home market, it never gets very cold in comparison to much of North America.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
5w-40 flows just fine during winter in most climates. It just may not deliver the same fuel economy as a 0w-20/5w-20.

Upto 2% difference in mpg I recall not a lot in the scheme of things on an individual level.

2% mpg big difference at national level.

Me thinks 5w-40 is better as evidenced by the EURO luxury manufacturer's it been a long time favorite grade. Although this is now somewhat changing.

Last edited:
Pointless to change from 5w to 0w unless it's in the winter months where you're starting you car at below freezing temps every day. It hardly gets below freezing here, I stick with 10w-30 all year round.

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
Interesting point on German weather--hadn't thought of that.

Yes, it's like Arizona of Europe.. sort of.. they need heavier oils, those Teutons and their horses. Although Paris may surprise a careless observer by cold showers in the middle of the summer. Go figure

0W-20 may get there faster but does it lubricate anything when it gets there?

Thicker oils lubricate best because they were already there before you turned the key.

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Me thinks 5w-40 is better as evidenced by the EURO luxury manufacturer's it been a long time favorite grade. Although this is now somewhat changing.

It is changing....to 5w30 oil thus majoriti of low saps oils for passanger cars are produced in that viscosity

But you can still buy them in 5w40 viscosity too (repsol elite 5w40....castrol edge 5w40...)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
It is changing....to 5w30 oil thus majoriti of low saps oils for passanger cars are produced in that viscosity

http://www.lubritecinc.com/PDF/MB_Spec_EO_Service_Oils_2012.1.pdf

Still 3.5HTHS, so a very very different beast to an ILSAC 5W30.

Talk about different beasts, I took a look at those Lubrizol spider charts you reffed last night. That MB229.52 spec pretty much overlays dexos2 (or vice versa). Big time engineering going on.

5w-40 flows just fine during winter in most climates. It just may not deliver the same fuel economy as a 0w-20/5w-20.

Actually their is a video that shows 40 wt oils flow much slower than 20-30 wt oils in cold temps. It's more than just MPG.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Actually their is a video that shows 40 wt oils flow much slower than 20-30 wt oils in cold temps. It's more than just MPG.
"cold" is a useless term. 30F is cold. So is -30F.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
0W-20 may get there faster but does it lubricate anything when it gets there?

Thicker oils lubricate best because they were already there before you turned the key.

No Merkava, it blows up engines as evidenced by all of the 20 year old Fords and Hondas that have been run on it with only a few hundred thousand miles sent to the junkyards for transmission issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back