OLM on Acura??

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first purchased my Acura back in February, the oil life monitor was at 70%. Less than 1000 miles on whatever oil he used -- "im sure it was bulk oil from some Jiffy Lube with the pronto base filter"; it was down to 10%. I changed the oil using Pennzoil Ultra PP & a Fram Ultra. Five thousand miles later the OLM is at 30%? Im thinking he just reset it not long before I purchased it without changing the oil? Oil on dipstick is like a carmel color, not dark brown or black. Next run is gonna be Pennzoil Platinum PP 0W20 & another run on the Fram Ultra. Im hoping this current batch thats in gets me to 7500miles. Its getting changed at that point no matter what anyways. Have a good weekend!! Ken

The acura OLM doesn't read the oil. so the 1000 miles that took it from 70%->10% would have happened regardless if the oil was good oil or cheap oil, or halfused, or brand new; if i'm understanding your post and interpreting what is your question.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tc1446
Not same car, but using the OLM on my Honda, it goes 9 to 10K on PP or M1 with an Ultra.

Similar experience for my Honda. M1 HM on Fram Ultra. If I understand correctly, it counts engine revolutions and nothing else. The manual calls for 5W-20 synthetic, so 9–10K is no cause for alarm at least in my case.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
My question is why did it go from 70% to 10% in less than 1000 miles. But 5000 miles later and I'm at 30%?

It might have a built in time modifier. Pass a certain amount of time and it drops rapidly to 10%.

Doesn't your car call for 5W30?

My Acura will got 13K miles or so before it drops to 5 or 10%.

Car states in manual and valve cover cap 5W20. I luved the way the Pennzoil Platinum PP 0W20 ran in my 06 Camry before being totaled. Warmed up nice & quick in winter & seemed like a tad improvement on MPGs compared to the 5W30 I ran previously. Thats why im leaning towards the 0W20 this time around on the Acura. Another cleaning phase then im gonna stick with QSUD for the remainder of car life. Reading the manual it does go by engine revolutions like stated earlier!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: thorromig
Car states in manual and valve cover cap 5W20. I luved the way the Pennzoil Platinum PP 0W20 ran in my 06 Camry before being totaled. Warmed up nice & quick in winter & seemed like a tad improvement on MPGs compared to the 5W30 I ran previously. Thats why im leaning towards the 0W20 this time around on the Acura. Another cleaning phase then im gonna stick with QSUD for the remainder of car life. Reading the manual it does go by engine revolutions like stated earlier!!

Where in the manual does it say it goes by engine revs, only? I've gotta believe that other factors like cold starts, oil temperature, fuel consumption, etc. are counted as well.

I think the manual will say something like "engine operating conditions and revs", where engine operating conditions will include many other factors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back