plastic bed liner

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truck in question belongs to my friend, a 2012 GMC Canyon, with the factory plastic bed liner. I had put a gallon of oil based paint in the bed and although the lid didnt come off, it somehow leaked and now theres yellow paint everywhere. Would the dealer be the only place to get a new liner?

Take it to the car wash and use a pressure washer on it. It'll come off.

Someone spilled a bucket of house paint in the street a few years ago and my grandfather drove over it and it was all over the side of his brand new van, dealership pressure washed it right off for him.

For a GM liner, yes, you would probably have to go to a dealer unless there is some other company in your area that carries GM accessories. Truck accessory stores will carry aftermarket brands like Rugged Liner and Pendaliner.

Thing is, most dealers will only stock liners for new trucks, and they haven't made that body style of Colorado for a couple years. I wouldn't expect all dealers to have it, but I'm sure some have a couple previous gen Colorado liners laying around.

I'll try to remember to check the availability of these next time I'm at work.

Like Nick said though, I'd try getting it off first. That will cost a few dollars vs. over $100.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
take it out before it rusts the bed in another 5 years.

In Louisiana?

I think the reason he mentioned it rusting the bed, is that those plastic liners scuff the paint off the metal bed underneath them and that leads to bare metal that will be susceptible to rust. And that can occur anywhere, including Louisiana.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
take it out before it rusts the bed in another 5 years.

In Louisiana?

Anything that can trap moisture for prolonged periods will accelerate corrosion. If there is any paint defect under that liner that allows the moisture to get to the metal, then there will be trouble. I have seen southern cars with vinyl tops that trapped moisture that made swiss cheese out of the roof metal even though the rest of the body was sound. Not all that different from a plastic liner on a bed.

Last edited:
I didn't even know people kept plastic bed liners anymore. Worst thing for the bed of a truck.

The paint? Should wash right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back