Getting ready for an oil change in the twin cam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been running VR1 like the original poster in my CVO for the past 20,000 miles. I have no plans on running anything else. I change it out every 5000 and have had little to no oil consumption. Runs at 230 degrees, so a little cooler than the 250 degrees Mobil V-twin I had been using, and about the same as Brad -Penn I had been using before the Mobil.

I run the 20w50 Vr1 dino in my old evo. I'm pleased with it and member Sunruh seems to like it....for the Harley crowd.

Put about 500 miles on since the change from conventional vr1 and all seems about the same. Motor is running excellent coming up on 28k

I hit 50k (2003 Road king) this year and still running like new. Switched to the silver bottle. Going to run it in my 1981 shovelhead also.

Originally Posted by fonecord2
I hit 50k (2003 Road king) this year and still running like new. Switched to the silver bottle. Going to run it in my 1981 shovelhead also.

If your 03 FLHR is running like a champ @ 50,000 miles I wouldn't change a thing. Again, HD twin cams are great engines if you change fluids as specified in owners/service manuals. And yes I'm a firm believer in 20W-50 for twin cams....

It's interesting to see all the different stuff folks put in a Harley with good results. The conversation is almost always: "I put (insert brand) into my bike, its amazing. A lot better than (insert brand). Really quieted down the valves and made the transmission shift better with less clunk". Helps to insert the following acronyms and phrases: HDEO, Zinc, PCMO, additave package, OCI, detergent, OPE, and make up a few more for good measure: You don't really need to know ANYTHING about any of them. Leads me to believe that you could run about anything but baby oil in a V-Twin with good results. The twin cam is a GREAT engine and doesn't really care what you put in it. I bought my 2010 FLHTK "Grandpa Glide" new and have about 35k miles on it. Amsoil MCV 20w50 for the engine once a year regardless of mileage. Trans has the 75w-110 gear oil in it and I doubt I'll change that for a good many years. Primary... Well. That's where I experiment. I've run Rotella 15w-40 and T6, Amsoil MCV and MCF, and my latest favorite: ATF. The ONLY one I could tell a lick of difference was Formula+. It felt worse to me.

Some of the old farts put Rotella 15w-40 in their contraptions for decades without issue. HD engines are separate from the transmission so you can run just about any 50w oil with zero problems.

Why are you using expensive oil if it doesn't matter? I'm using oil that I got at autozone clearance sale for one and rwo dollars/quart. The vr1 does really well in uoa samples. I'll research again when my stash runs out in a few years.

Originally Posted by wagsrk08
Originally Posted by fonecord2

If your 03 FLHR is running like a champ @ 50,000 miles I wouldn't change a thing. Again, HD twin cams are great engines if you change fluids as specified in owners/service manuals. And yes I'm a firm believer in 20W-50 for twin cams....

I did recently reroute my head breather from the intake to external filter. We will likely have similar results with any quality oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back