'13 Subaru WRX - Rotella T6 5w40 - 3,500mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good I guess, there's been some talk lately on the Subaru forums regarding RT6's ability to stand up to high load situations, but mine seems to be doing well. BSL suggests 5500 miles on the next sample, but I'm going to go a little less, probably 4750-5000.
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Zinc isn't as big as a problem as most think. Just ask any oil-injected rotary engine owner. I've seen plenty of 13b's at 200k passing emissions. Catalytics didn't fail. Oxygen sensors are also a wear item. Rather replace either than an engine.

Great UOA. You didn't use the oil long enough.

What filter? Any power mods? oil temps/psi?

Besides T6, DeloESI and TDT, both in 5w40, are good choices. T6 tends to be overhyped(typical lower cost leading to use and then pushed like a cheap drug on all). Don't fear other 5w40's or even 10w40's.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
Looks pretty good to me.

That much zinc could be a problem over long periods of time, I would run lower zinc for catalytic.

I'm not burning any oil between changes so far, so I'm not too worried about that for now. But I'll keep it in mind for sure.
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Zinc isn't as big as a problem as most think. Just ask any oil-injected rotary engine owner. I've seen plenty of 13b's at 200k passing emissions. Catalytics didn't fail. Oxygen sensors are also a wear item. Rather replace either than an engine.

Great UOA. You didn't use the oil long enough.

What filter? Any power mods? oil temps/psi?

Besides T6, DeloESI and TDT, both in 5w40, are good choices. T6 tends to be overhyped(typical lower cost leading to use and then pushed like a cheap drug on all). Don't fear other 5w40's or even 10w40's.

OEM blue filter
mods: killer b oil pickup & baffles, stage 1 e-tune from Torqued Performance (asked for emphasis on reliability and longevity over power)
That's it really. Next mods are boost, oil temp, and oil pressure gauges. Then air oil separator and eventually equal length headers.
I'm doing a longevity build and trying to cancel out all the EJ255 weak points the best I can.
It could go longer for sure, and I will on this change. I bought the car used and wasn't sure of the history, so I wanted to start with a shirt OCI. I think I was more itching to get under the car and get the UOA done.I'm still hesitant about 5500 miles though, seems like a lot for the summer months with a lot of higher RPM traffic situations.

Last edited:
Are your comments about T6 not holding up well under load related to the T6 post in the Built Motor Forum on nasioc? If so, just keep in mind that is oberservations based on oil pressure during track conditions.

Any non GF5 oil should be able to do 5-6k miles easily in your application, IMO. You just have want to keep an eye on fuel and flashpoint. Based on uoa's that I recall seeing, TP tuned WRX's generally show good uoa results although it can't match a good protune IMO.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Are your comments about T6 not holding up well under load related to the T6 post in the Built Motor Forum on nasioc? If so, just keep in mind that is oberservations based on oil pressure during track conditions.

Any non GF5 oil should be able to do 5-6k miles easily in your application, IMO. You just have want to keep an eye on fuel and flashpoint. Based on uoa's that I recall seeing, TP tuned WRX's generally show good uoa results although it can't match a good protune IMO.

cheers3.gif

That's what I figured about racing and track use.
Yeah I've seen a lot of good reviews about the TP tunes, however it runs like [censored] in this heat and humidity. I came from a V6 truck that ran the same pretty much all the time.
Someday I'll have a protune but for now, the TP will do, especially at stage 1, I don't have a lot of variables, even running the stock intake. But someday, when the preventive mods are done, I'll go protune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back