Rotella T6 Packaging, no Quart bottles??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need 4 liters, or 4-1/4 quarts, of oil for the engines in two of my cars. I went to three different chain auto parts stores last night intending to buy a 1 gallon jug and a 1 quart bottle of Rotella T6 for an upcoming oil change.

Rotella T6 was offered in 2-1/2 gallon and 1 gallon jugs at each of the stores, but neither O'Reilly's, AutoZone or Advance Auto had the one quart bottles. They didn't even have empty shelf space for this package!

So apparently all light truck diesel engines require exactly 4 quarts or 10 quarts of new oil with each oil change. I never would have guessed this.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Walmart, Farm and Fleet, and Menards all have single qts.

This...

And it seems like there is very little premium extracted for HDEO singles.

They are very close to the gallon price divided by 4.

I'll keep looking for the one quarter bottles. I was more surprised that the stores didn't have an empty shelf slot than I was that they didn't have the oil.

There is no way in h377 that I would take 4 gallons of T6 into my Ford dealer. The chances are too high that in would all go in the engine or I wouldn't get the remaining 3 quarts back. I take 3 gallons plus 1 qt and don't sweat it.
I base that on my first Ecoboost oil change where the tech told me that I needed 8 quarts, not 6. I told him that I would top it off when I got home rather than argue with a guy who thought he knew. He said later that 6 quarts did the job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
So apparently all light truck diesel engines require exactly 4 quarts or 10 quarts of new oil with each oil change. I never would have guessed this.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
You don't have to pour the whole gallon in at one time...

The answer is so obvious I didn't even think of it.

You said you have two cars requiring 4.25 quarts, so the 2.5 gallon jug you mentioned would be perfect.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
You said you have two cars requiring 4.25 quarts, so the 2.5 gallon jug you mentioned would be perfect.
Sometimes my local Wally prices the one gallon jugs cheaper per gallon than the 2.5 gallon. I end up buying several 1 gallons.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Just watch the price when you buy that stuff. Sometimes it's cheaper by the gallon than by the 2.5 gallon jugs for some reason. I keep my eyes open for those $5 rebate deals they have yearly then stock up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back