Car and truck differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes one a truckand one a car? Before the wize guys take a shot, phrase it like this..... What is the difference between an El Camino and a S10?

Im thinking it has to do with the frame underneath.

El Camino were built on the same frame as a Malibu, or (older ones) a Chevelle (the A platform). S-10s were built on a small truck frame shared with the GMC S-15 or Sonoma.

One is unibody styled (no separate bed),and a lesser weight carrying limit.Like a Dodge Rampage vs a RAM pickup.

Yes, it is. Even uglier.

Elcamino and Ranchero were great cars, and someone should bring one back to fight the HUGE half tons of today.

Rod

Originally Posted By: Donald
The El Camino was ugly and a lousy car and a lousy truck. Good its no longer made. Add it to the Vega, Pinto, Yugo and Covair list of "mistakes".

Better tell Ford and Holden to stop making them down under. I would kill for a Maloo or a Falcon Ute.

El Camino, Ranchero are a take off from the Aussie ute. They are a 1/4 ton truck. I had a '62 F 250 with an 8 ft bed that was one with the cab. Sweptline? I know where there is another. It too has a 223 inch straight 6 but is a F 100. Judging from the fact that it hasn't moved in at least the 5 yrs I've been driving by it, there are issues.
grin2.gif

The El Camino was ugly and a lousy car and a lousy truck. Good its no longer made. Add it to the Vega, Pinto, Yugo and Covair list of "mistakes".

There are a ton of El Caminos out west, I still see one almost every time I go out. Last week I saw 3 in one day on a short trip to the store.

Dodge Rampage, unit body truck, based on the L-body, (Omni), chassis.

Up until recently, Chrysler minivans were classified as trucks. Gave them favorable treatment with emission rules.

It's a truck if the manufacturer calls it a truck.

How about car/truck/van/SUV/CUV & anything in between.
Between - there were those cars you could drive into the lake (maybe troll for trout) and prop yer way to the other side.

Add - then those like a VW bus except 3/4 of the top was lost making it like half van half truck all weird

Last edited:
I vote for the Subie "Brat" and, by far the "best" (sarc) of the lot....the VW Rabbit pickup with front wheel drive for NO traction with a load in the bed. Most of them were sold to balloon foots because there was so little too them they got good mileage.

35.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Better tell Ford and Holden to stop making them down under. I would kill for a Maloo or a Falcon Ute.

Sadly, they ARE about to stop making them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back