My Motorkote experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I bought a small jug of Motorkote after hearing of it and reading up on it.
My procedure was do an o/c(Smitty's semisynth) drive the vehicle 2 weeks or so to get used to the new oil/filter combo.Then add the requisite amount of Motorkote and immediately go for a 30 mile drive to get it circulated.

1st vehicle--2001 Mazda Tribute v6 .The wifes vehicle, so I have not really been able to keep a very accurate mileage log on it.I drove it a few times and the engine is smoother.Not sure of any mpg increase .Her usual drive is about 10 miles one way.

2nd vehicle--2001 Buick Park Ave v6.My usual commute vehicle .30 miles one way.Engine is quieter and smoother .Looks like a small mpg increase .5-1 mpg avg.I'll take that.

3rd vehicle--94 Geo Tracker 4cyl 5 spd 2wd.My back up vehicle.This vehicle has always been a disappointment mpg wise.It delivers a consistent 25 mpg whereas my old 89 sidekick 5spd 4wd got better mpg.This vehicle was a slight deviation from my procedure.I did the o/c and drove a couple of tanks of gas through it.I then used it to finish off the jug leftover from the first 2 vehicles.

I put 2 oz in the rear end and 6 oz in the engine which was only about 60% of the recommended dosage.I then drove the vehicle for 3-4 tanks of gas.As I said this is my backup and hunting ride so this took a few months.The vehicle delivered it's consistent 25 mpg.A few months ago I got another jug of Motorkote. I added 4 oz to the engine to get it to the correct dose and added 2 oz of motorkote and about 4 oz of HyperLube to the transmission and took it for a drive to get it blended well.

Here is where it gets interesting.The transmission has always had a lot of vibration and movement through the shifter knob.The vibration has now smoothed out a lot and movement has diminished 85%.The improvement has increased as the odo has gotten higher.I know HyperLube has some "cushioning effect" so that is a contributing factor.But shifts are smoother and the tranny is quieter now.

I reset the trip meter each fillup and calculate the mpg each fillup,and here is the mpg log.
1-25
2-25
3-26.2
4-29.4
5-27.5
6-26.4
7-28.8

The first 2 tanks were disappointing,the third was a happy surprise.The fourth I was astonished.the fifth I engaged in some spirited driving and about 45 mins at 75 mph on the interstate.Six and seven were back to my usual driving style.

My usual drive to work is 65% highway(about 62 mph) and 35% city(35-40 mph avg) and around 14 traffic lights.Same route each work day.The vehicle has been getting driven more regularly here lately as the Mazda's antitheft sytem is acting up.

A few observations...the first dosing gave no appreciable results.When the dose was increased and the tranny was dosed the tranny was noticably smoother in a few hundred miles.The engine got smoother at about 500 miles.The effect got better as mileage increased.It seemed to level out around 900-1000 miles after the second dosing.The engine and tranny are much quieter at highway speeds now.So it appears to work better in vehicles where everything is dosed not just one component of the drivetrain.I am a bit leery about putting Motorkote in a auto tranny and have not put it in either of mine.As it stands now I'm happy with the product.

Now let the billkarp start.Because I'm sure I'll be called everything but a child of god by some.

Interesting. I have to wonder how much the recent warmer weather has come into play.

I don't have a problem with your claims.

But, what fluids are being used? why not switch all the vehicles to boutique synthetics?

Some people don't need any facts to confuse their opinions. They already know. Some of these off hand opinions are well founded because the market for additives is flooded with snake oil intermixed with a few good products.

Motorkote has been laboratory tested and analyzed, beaten up in the field and the trucking companies that have done their due diligence continue to use the product.

Whether or not the product is cost effective it has been well proven over the years that it does not do any harm, ever.

Motorkote was recently tested by a transportation operation that operates up north in Alaska and Canada where the weather is awful at best. They will not divulge the results of their testing but they are using the various Motorkote products now on a regular basis along with synthetic lubricants from Mobil. It's possible that this is an indication that they think the product is useful.

I believe one of their current rebates is $50 when you purchase 4 one quart bottles. Walmart price is $26.44, at least in my market.

Eric and Gary are still endorsing it so you know it is chock full of unicorn essence.

Can someone tell me what Residual oils (petroleum), solvent-dewaxed (64742-62-7) is, it is listed as one of the substances in motorkote on the msds sheet.

seems like most of the ingredients are some base oils, but i have to google each one of the listed numbers to look at them and have only gone so far.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
Can someone tell me what Residual oils (petroleum), solvent-dewaxed (64742-62-7) is, it is listed as one of the substances in motorkote on the msds sheet.

https://s00.static-shell.com/content/dam...--stil---en.pdf

Quote:
Streams obtained from vacuum distillates, vacuum residues and atmospheric distillation residues by processes such as solvent extraction or hydrogenation, and containing saturated and aromatic hydrocarbons, mainly in the range C10 to C50.

A generic hydrocarbon made from the dregs of various processes.

Ed

thanks...

so i am seeing mainly base oils and mineral oil. does not appear to have any other additives as the msds does not even claim the "proprietary" thingy that other producers of addy's add or that i have seen for other products....

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
I don't have a problem with your claims.

But, what fluids are being used? why not switch all the vehicles to boutique synthetics?

Smitty Semi synth 10w30 or 5w30....as for boutique oils.Well i'm a cheap bast err I mean frugal.I got the oil 5qts for 10 bucks and got the filters for less than 2 bucks each add in the MotorKote that was used in each vehicle ...a 20 dollar o/c.probably run for 7.5 k or so.Boutique oils would cost more than that.

I have no idea what is in MotorKote.All I can do is post my observations on the product.

Here is an update on the Buick the mileage avg went up to 25.5 from 24.4 mpg.So a 4-5% mpg increase.I can live with that and the engine was very smooth.I did an o/c at 8k with a frankenmix of 2 qts Smitty 5w30 and 3 qts of Napa synth 10w30 and a maintenance dose of MK.I will say on the pure Smitty the engine was a little quieter,but it is still pretty quiet.

The variables that can affect mpg are more than a handfull.

Please take any claims of fuel economy with more than a few grains of salt.

Yes I am aware of that.I wonder if some of the increase is due to summer vs winter fuel blends.

I am not "taking" any claims by the mfg of the product.

As I said I am simply reporting my personal observations on this product.The buick mpg was calculated by the onboard computer,so I assume it is accurate.

The mpg observations on the Tracker show a nice increase it has stabilized at 28 mpg so I figure it is doing something as nothing else changed ,no O2 sensor,Spark plug or wire or cap/rotor change.

At this rate it will pay for itself in the Tracker by my rough calculations over the course of an 8k run I'll save 35 gallons of gas , roughly 3 tanks.35 gallons at say an average of 2.75 a gallon will save me 96 dollars.IIRC the MK treatment was about 8 bucks a vehicle.Not a life shaking savings but nice.

The Buick and the Mazda seem like will be a slightly above break even point,economically.But even a slight economic advantage is welcome.hopefully the coating effect will extend engine life.That remains to be seen in the future.

As I said these are my personal observations.Other folks may have different experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back