An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Well done tastes like nothing. The real way to eat a steak is cold in the middle. It has nothing to do with whether I eat meat. I'll eat you guys under the table.

It has everything to do with whether you eat meat, because this entire thing hinges on that. The only person with a leg to stand on in this regard is a vegan.

It has to do with preserving nature.

Exactly, it DOES. That's why deer hunts (and moose hunts, and turkey hunts and all the major animals that are hunted for food) are REGULATED. Deer are hunted not only because they are wonderful to eat but also to keep their populations in check so they aren't starving to death in the winter months. Deer are the furthest thing from any sort of endangered species, they are like cattle in that they reproduce quickly.

Was Cecil a pet? If not then by Overkills standards that makes him food. Its a slippery slope.

Wrong. While Cecil was not a pet, he was an endangered species and existed on an animal preserve for that reason. Those two reasons independent of each other qualify him as out of bounds let alone when put together.

So when whale populations recover, you propose to go back to hunting to keep their populations "under control"?

Do you own a field of straw from which you are creating these strawmen?

Have whales EVER needed population control? No. They are not a rapidly breeding animal that requires a particular abundance of natural predators to be kept in check. And this ties into your earlier ridiculous post, as whales are not procured by hunters but rather as part of an industry, which is more in-line with how you get your meat, which also, as I noted, ties into commercial fishing.

Recreational hunting and these strawmen you keep tossing out are nothing alike. I assume I can say that until I am blue in the face but you will continue to not see it however.

Whaling:
Japan_Factory_Ship_Nisshin_Maru_Whaling_Mother_and_Calf.jpg

whale19.jpg

whales.jpg

Whaling_1656912c.jpg

ORIENTAL-BLUEBIRD,-Japanese.jpg

The above is the Oriental Bluebird, a factory ship for processing whales.

Hunting:
Bow-Deer-Hunt.jpg

One guy, one deer, versus an entire industry. Not even comparable.

Quote:

I have nothing against hunting by hunters who are professional, can shoot, and who consume the meat. I do have a problem about shooting a lion that was on a preserve where the animals are supposed to be protected and the lion being lured off of the preserve. And then people trying to destroy and conceal the tracking collar.

This is the issue right here.

John

Is that you? Multiply your Pict by what? a million or so to start. All those yahoos (not you, the guys who drink and such) out there with guns that have multiple mile ranges. Scares the poop out of me. Now that I think about it, its more about that than the actual killing of the animal.

I was way up in Labrador a few years back at Churchill falls. It was hunting season and the snowmobiles were everywhere. a lot parked at liquor stores and bars. Seemed helter skelter to me. Sure didn't feel like a safe situation.

Is that you? Multiply your Pict by what? a million or so to start.

Nope, just a google pull. My gun would be in the picture because it is super cool looking, LOL!
grin.gif
And yes, I'm sure there are a lot of hunters out there, but our landmasses are massive as is the deer population. Our regular deer hunt up here does nothing but keep the deer population somewhat under control, and the number of tags given out (you need a tag to hunt, the number of tags are limited) depends on the population.

All those yahoos (not you, the guys who drink and such) out there with guns that have multiple mile ranges. Scares the poop out of me. Now that I think about it, its more about that than the actual killing of the animal.

Now we are getting somewhere. So you are actually scared of the hunters, not the hunting, because you feel they may be unsafe and lacking care in aquiring and confirming their target possibly based out of inebriation, lack of training or both, correct? We have two courses that you need to go through up here: one to get your PAL (to own a gun) and then another for your hunting license. The process is quite thorough. I'm not sure how it is done south of the border but we have VERY FEW hunting accidents up here.

I was way up in Labrador a few years back at Churchill falls. It was hunting season and the snowmobiles were everywhere. a lot parked at liquor stores and bars. Seemed helter skelter to me. Sure didn't feel like a safe situation.

It is quite common for the guys who've been out for the day hunting to park it at a bar or something when they are done and sit back with a beer. That's not indicative of them actually hunting while intoxicated however and they would lose their PAL and license if they did and were caught.

It may not "feel" safe, but it generally is.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
If Planned Parenthood was selling Lion body parts, do you think the media might have noticed?

All I know is that if this thread has gone 14 pages and hasn't veered into a gun control or Caitlyn Jenner conflagration then there's probably still hope for this board.

The mane topic is simply that this event went beyond ethical and moral standards. I imagine that even those that accept and/or practice trophy hunting as a legitimate undertaking despise what happened here.

turtlevette, have you ever considered the idea that it is o.k. to acknowledge and accept that the values that others hold are o.k., even if they differ from yours? If I could accept that you are vegan, I would expect that you could accept that I am omnivorous.

I used to consider myself a subsistence hunter, fisher, gatherer and I despised recreational outdoorspeople (gender correct). Then, I realized that the city dwellers valued the recreational aspects as an important getaway from their mundane lives. Game to take home was cake frosting, especially if one calculated the cost per pound. That's o.k. too. It's o.k. for people to drop tons of money modifying trucks and jeeps for rock crawling and mud bogging(I despised that too).

Why do you hate on others that have dissimilar values to yours?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Why do others hate on people who are against hunting?

Every time im on a car forum, I thank God for liberals and moonbats. Someone needs to keep these guys in check.

The dentist is closer to your philosophy than mine. Let's face it. Its not hunters taking this guy to task.

Its not conservatives who stopped illegal Japanese whaling.

Last edited:
The mane topic is simply that this event went beyond ethical and moral standards.....

And apparently as far as the Zimbabwean authorities are concerned, legal standards ie., baiting an animal out of a preserve to kill.

The good Dr. Tool, a previous felony offender while hunting, was not hunting for sustenance, or conservation or cultural norm. So all those analogies are irrelevant to this case.

As to whether he's guilty of breaking any law, up to the Zimbabwean authorities to decide. And hunting strictly for trophy purposes while not something I'd find 'sporting', I suppose if it's legal and the doc gets his jollies doing it, so be it.

Everyone on this thread needs to watch the movie "White Hunter, Black Heart". One of my all-time favorite Clint Eastwood flicks.

For the record, I don't hunt very much anymore - but when I do, I tend to eat what I shoot. I think hunting was born out of necessity (whether that be for food or defense) and in its purest form that is what it should be, although I'm not against the sporting aspects of it either. But there has to be a line, and hunting endangered animals is certainly over the line.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
All I know is that if this thread has gone 14 pages and hasn't veered into a gun control or Caitlyn Jenner conflagration then there's probably still hope for this board.

Haha right on to that one! :p

No one that hunts said anything negative about those who don't. Mainly folks hammered your nonsensical ideas with respect to hunting. We shot the message..not the messenger.

My best friend who shoots regularly is dead set against hunting..obviously we are both grown up enough and tolerant of each others others values that its not an issue between us.

Every time im on a car forum, I thank God for liberals and moonbats. Someone needs to keep these guys in check.

The dentist is closer to your philosophy than mine. Let's face it. Its not hunters taking this guy to task.

Its not conservatives who stopped illegal Japanese whaling.

Your answer translates to this: two wrongs = right.

- If others hate, its o.k. for you to hate.
- To keep in check one extremist philosophy, its o.k. to engage in the opposite extremist philosophy, i.e., you condone the tactics of Earth Liberation Front?
- You have no knowledge of my philosophy (spiritual/indigenous) nor the opinions of "real" hunters, so your third comment is a non answer.
- I have no idea what the relevance of your fourth comment is regarding a request why YOU don't accept others (because you are a liberal??).

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Everyone on this thread needs to watch the movie "White Hunter, Black Heart". One of my all-time favorite Clint Eastwood flicks.

For the record, I don't hunt very much anymore - but when I do, I tend to eat what I shoot. I think hunting was born out of necessity (whether that be for food or defense) and in its purest form that is what it should be, although I'm not against the sporting aspects of it either. But there has to be a line, and hunting endangered animals is certainly over the line.

It's more than endangered species, the lion was lured out of a Zimbabwe national park(a protected preserve) to kill.

The dentist did violated the law before, he intentionally killed a bear in a Wisconsin protected preserve and dragged the dead bear to area that was allowed to hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back