Anyone Download Windows 10 Yet? Thoughts ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So using the media creation tool, what's the difference between Home, Home N, Home Single Language? I searched and couldn't find any explanation.

My search did turn up that I have to upgrade my current 7 install to 10 before I can use the iso for a clean install. Is this correct?

My main computer is a Windows 7 64 bit Dell laptop from 2009. It's been solid for 6 years but lately seems to be slowing down a bit. Since I am on the original install of Win 7 from 2009 I am wondering if I should just leave well enough alone or try a fresh install of 10.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
So using the media creation tool, what's the difference between Home, Home N, Home Single Language? I searched and couldn't find any explanation.

My search did turn up that I have to upgrade my current 7 install to 10 before I can use the iso for a clean install. Is this correct?

My main computer is a Windows 7 64 bit Dell laptop from 2009. It's been solid for 6 years but lately seems to be slowing down a bit. Since I am on the original install of Win 7 from 2009 I am wondering if I should just leave well enough alone or try a fresh install of 10.

Windows "N" means it doesn't come with Windows Media Player (due to EU regulation).

Windows "Single language" means you cannot change the language using language packs (due to Chinese regulation).

Just installed Win Ten...

Install was painless, but slow...

Runs a little faster than 8.1, desktop is back...

Office 2003 still works, I had installed it before upgrade, on Win 8.1
Microsoft says Office 2003 will not work on 8.1...

Installed last night. It has been downloading for weeks now. The very easy to use install program, took about 45 minutes with no hiccups. My computer is a Dell desktop with a Gen 4 i3 with 8gb ram. My initial impression is very positive. I always liked 8.1, 10 seems even better. My only glitch was since I use a HDTV I had to adjust two video settings. It's super fast and Windows Defender is super fast now. I did a full scan after I was sure install was stable to look for possible dangerous leftover files. No problem with Chrome.

Running 8.1 (no issues) on a Lenovo laptop. I'm computer stupid so I may later (months) ask my youngest boy about this new 10 thing.
Heard today it's free for a year.

On Windows 10 now. A bit quicker than 64 bit 7. Painless install but very slow as stated before. Everything runs perfectly. Microsoft Edge err explorer or whatever the default browser is is very good. It's faster than Chrome ATM.

Did the update from win 7 to win 10 yesterday. It was the smoothest upgrade I ever did. Installation was painless, and it picked up all the installed programs perfectly, even word and exel (2000) work great. Win 10 opens programs faster than 7 did, at least on my computer.

I upgraded last night also from 7, very smooth and not much to report. Chrome installed easily and is working great, I never used 8.0 or 8.1 so this is all new to me but everything is where anyone familiar with Windows would expect it.

One weird thing - Dell Quickset won't install, so the eject button on my PC doesn't work (I have a slot load DVD drive) I have to right click on the drive to eject the CD.

I just finished installing it for my friend's son. The installation was smooth although I have an issue with a driver. Everything works fine except for the yellow [!] showing an issue with this driver: Sierra Wireless MC8355-Gobi3000(TM) Module. I can't find the driver that will get the yellow [!] out of the Device Manager. Hopefully in time there will be an updated driver. But as I said everything is working fine. It is faster than Win 7, although his computer was loaded with garbage.

The Gobi is a chip that communicates with a cellular carrier.

Unless you are using the embedded chip you don't need it. It also does GPS on the chip.

Sierra wireless has a website where you can get that driver. Or your computer maker.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You can download entire operating systems now? What happened to having to buy the install DVD ?

Welcome to the 21st century.

Install media is alive and well here in the 21st century. In fact it can be the preferred method, depending on what you are trying to accomplish. I'll be using a DVD for a fresh install on a new SSD in my laptop. There's always lots of leftover cruft from the old system no matter how well they script the upgrade process.

Originally Posted By: Uber_Archetype
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You can download entire operating systems now? What happened to having to buy the install DVD ?

Welcome to the 21st century.

Install media is alive and well here in the 21st century. In fact it can be the preferred method, depending on what you are trying to accomplish. I'll be using a DVD for a fresh install on a new SSD in my laptop. There's always lots of leftover cruft from the old system no matter how well they script the upgrade process.

Download the iso and burn it to a DVD?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: redbone3
You can download an app that will download win 10 and burn it to a dvd, do a clean install, or do an upgrade.here is the link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Validation is difficult unless you do the upgrade first, then do a clean install.

I upgraded, then did a clean install. It asked for my license key, and wouldn't accept it. I clicked skip for now and it let me keep going. After installation was complete it never asked again and says it is activated.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: redbone3
You can download an app that will download win 10 and burn it to a dvd, do a clean install, or do an upgrade.here is the link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Validation is difficult unless you do the upgrade first, then do a clean install.

I used the tool and did an upgrade with it, it validated automatically.

I upgraded, then did a clean install. It asked for my license key, and wouldn't accept it. I clicked skip for now and it let me keep going. After installation was complete it never asked again and says it is activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back