Euro formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting to notice a lot of "Euro Formula" motor oils on the shelves at various places. What is the difference between a regular formula (Say Pennz Platinum) and Pennz Platinum Euro Formula? If these are designed for European cars, what benefits do they offer to non-European cars? Is Euro Formula just more stringent standards?

"Euro Formula" is a pretty vague/broad term that can mean a lot of different things, but in general, I'd say a Euro oil (in the US) typically has high HT/HS viscosity (at least 3.5cP) and robust add pack to handle extended oil drain intervals. Many of these oils meet Euro engine mfg specs, such as MB 229.5 which is considered one of the most stringent oil specs in existence today. BMW, VW, Porsche have their own respective specs as well. The overall idea behind these oils is extended engine protection in extreme operating conditions (high speed, track use, etc.) without much care for things like fuel economy.

Then you have the Euro diesel formulas that have additional restrictions on SA levels in order to protect modern diesel emissions equipment such as DPF. Again, each of the European engine manufacturers has their respective spec for it.

I'm hoping others can refine this a bit more for you.

Lubrizol has some relative performance spider charts on their website that may help you get a better idea for how these Euro mfg specs differ from API, ILSAC, Dexos, etc.

https://www.lubrizol.com/apps/relperftool/pc.html

EDIT: I just noticed they removed all the API specs from the chart. That's odd.

A "Euro" oil differs from oil for US cars in that they meet the Euro specs (BMW LL-01, MB 112.3 and 229.5, Porsche A40) while American oils meet American specs(API SN, ILSAC GF-5). Euro oils are also speced for longer drain intervals that American oils.

Are Euro oils better than American oils, if talking from a longer lasting standpoint yes, from an engine protection standpoint, no. There are American oils that also have longer drain intervals as well(Mobil 1 EP, Amsoil).

Many folks that own BMWs use Mobil 1 5W-30 in their cars and just change the oil out a little more frequently.

Originally Posted By: stchman

Many folks that own BMWs use Mobil 1 5W-30 in their cars and just change the oil out a little more frequently.

Which just reeks of ignorance since the cars spec an oil with a much higher HTHS, not just a longer drain capability. The Euro oils also have higher levels of AW additives.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Which just reeks of ignorance since the cars spec an oil with a much higher HTHS, not just a longer drain capability. The Euro oils also have higher levels of AW additives.

I am not a BMW expert, will a BMW engine last longer with Euro oil(5W-40) changed at 15K than Mobil 1 5W-30 changed at 7500? I say no, but if yes, is there any kind of proof?

I am not a BMW expert, will a BMW engine last longer with Euro oil(5W-40) changed at 15K than Mobil 1 5W-30 changed at 7500? I say no, but if yes, is there any kind of proof?

It isn't just the OCI length but rather also the higher levels of AW additives and higher HTHS of oils like M1 0w-40, PU 5w-40...etc that meet the LL-01 specification that BMW calls for. The OEM test sequences are more demanding than your generic API ones.

You effectively reduce the minimum film thickness in the engine by runner a thinner, non-spec oil and yes, that could certainly lead to a shorter engine life if the engine is pushed and oil temperatures elevated. Is it likely with typical North American driving conditions? No, but it is still possible. Also, BMW has reduced the OCI length to 10,000 miles now.

The entire premise makes no sense anyways because M1 0w-40, which is approved, is no more expensive than the thinner non-approved M1 5w-30.

It isn't just the OCI length but rather also the higher levels of AW additives and higher HTHS of oils like M1 0w-40, PU 5w-40...etc that meet the LL-01 specification that BMW calls for. The OEM test sequences are more demanding than your generic API ones.

You effectively reduce the minimum film thickness in the engine by runner a thinner, non-spec oil and yes, that could certainly lead to a shorter engine life if the engine is pushed and oil temperatures elevated. Is it likely with typical North American driving conditions? No, but it is still possible. Also, BMW has reduced the OCI length to 10,000 miles now.

The entire premise makes no sense anyways because M1 0w-40, which is approved, is no more expensive than the thinner non-approved M1 5w-30.

True, Mobil 1 0W-40 is available at Walmart for the same price as Mobil 1 5W-30.

0W-40, 0W-30, 5W-40, or 5W-30 are all approved viscosities for BMW engines.

Maybe I'm wrong.. But a A1\B1 or A5\B5 oil that is a 5w30 aren't the standards greater than 2.9 but less than 3.5 HTHS right? And a TBN greater than 8.
I may be wrong. The Pennzoil Euro 5w40 is easier to find than the 5w30 any day. Even Wally world doesn't normally carry it. Maybe them chickenheads will get it in
smile.gif

Just like I saw Pennzoil Ultra at my Wally world in the 5w30 only. With no price tag. But I think it means its finally back at the one nearest me.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Maybe I'm wrong.. But a A1\B1 or A5\B5 oil that is a 5w30 aren't the standards greater than 2.9 but less than 3.5 HTHS right?

Yes, but very few if any Euro cars sold in the US call for these ACEA specs.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The Wally world site does sell the euro Pennzoil 5w30.. But its a order and pick up type deal. Not one they normally carry in the store.
Quattro I really appreciate all of your great input on here. Super smart and on point. And Garak you rock on as always
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yes, but very few if any Euro cars sold in the US call for these ACEA specs.

True, but it's still a mark of quality. I look for ACEA A/B for extended drains (around 10k) in any car not equipped with an OLM. For OLM cars, I just use the cheapest synthetic on sale and use the OCI it suggests.

stchman said:
OVERKILL said:
stchman said:

OV.Kl if you live in Australia 5L=$95 AUD of $19 / L where these oils are ridiculously way over price I look for other choices.

Last edited:
VOil, it's quite a bit cheaper on the east coast of Oz, than over in WA.

I can get 5L of synthetic Shell 5W30 A3/B4 for under $50-, and 6L of Penrite 10W40 synthetic A3/B4, MB 229.5 for under $60- . Both under $10 per L.

I've been to WA a few time for work, and it does always seem more expensive to me there, not just oil, even food.. Appologies from the East Coast.

You have some great beer though.

Originally Posted By: SR5
VOil, it's quite a bit cheaper on the east coast of Oz, than over in WA.

I can get 5L of synthetic Shell 5W30 A3/B4 for under $50-, and 6L of Penrite 10W40 synthetic A3/B4, MB 229.5 for under $60- . Both under $10 per L.

I've been to WA a few time for work, and it does always seem more expensive to me there, not just oil, even food.. Appologies from the East Coast.

You have some great beer though.

SR5 I was referring to the Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil 0w-40 oils mentioned in the quote above

I use the Shell Helix 5w-40 or Shell HX8 5w-30 oils nowadays when on sale.

I have gone off Penrite as the Shell Helix above either grade has quietened the valve train noise considerably in my VS V6 Holden Merc compared to the penrite.

Last edited:
Roger, I thought you were talking about all Euro Synthetics, not M1 in particular.

Yes I don't buy Mobil either, hard to find, and over priced when you do find it.

Happy to buy Castrol, Valvoline, Shell and Penrite. Nulon looks good, but I've never tried it.

Which brand do you go for when not buying M1?

Originally Posted By: SR5

Which brand do you go for when not buying M1?

Sorry, just realized you answered my question.

Yes, Shell Helix / Ultra, a great product at a good price.
The HX8 5w30 A3/B4 is perfect for my car, and hard to walk past for the price.

Some Euro oils have a viscosity of 0w40 or 5w40, and that is an excellent alternative to conventional 10w40. Also, some turbocharged gasoline engines from the USA and Japan perform well on 0w40 even if the manual calls for something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back