Portable air compressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
One thing I noticed is that they all say "Engine must be running while using this compressor." Is it just so that you don't discharge your car battery too much?

Answering myself here, but I'm guessing that the higher voltage while the alternator is running allows the air compressor to pump faster.

I don't know if this will work for you, but I have a full-sized air compressor at home, and I use it to fill one of these, which I keep in the trunk of my car. Has worked very well for me, and holds up to 125Psi.

2rc7c5u.jpg

Was about $20 at Harbor Freight, on special.

Yes without the alternator voltage the compressor runs much more slowly and with a constant 100+ Watt load it will drain the battery as fast as leaving the headlights on...not fun.

meh, i've run my viaair everytime with the engine off, and works fine.

Then again i'm only adding 5psi or so to 4 passenger tires, so it's just like 30sec-1min on per tire.

I suppose if you're airing up an off road truck tire from flat to full or blowing up a fleet of inflatable rafts or anything like that then maybe you should turn on the engine, or give it a break every so often.

Last edited:
Ciggy plugs are a joke. Spring loaded steel contacts. The things waste as much energy as heat, as that makes it to the device being powered.

I bought a Mv50 many years ago. I have modified it with standard 1/4 NPT fittings, and a locking tire chuck.

Those screw on Chucks are a joke.

Mine now also has a 80MM Computer fan blowing over the head, and new 10 AWG leads, hooked to 45 Amp anderson powerpoles.

One can easily notice how much faster a compressor runs when the engine is running. The same difference is noticeable when the 14awg wire and cruddy alligator clamps are bypassed with some 10awg copper and proper ring terminals feeding the 16 to 18 amp motor all it wants.

The original wire connections inside the unit to the relay are a joke, with crimp nuts, and no Cord strain relief at all.

Don't limit yourself with a Ciggy plug connector. They are horrid and an extreme limiting factor.

I'm using a VIAR 440P air compressor, and it's awesome. The 77P would be great for a passenger car.

Another option for the OP is to purchase a cheap tire pump, and just replace the terrible cigarette lighter plug with longer wire leads and some alligator clips. You will also have to crimp an inline fuse holder into the positive lead wire. Connect the alligator clips onto your battery posts to run the compressor.

I modified a tire pump for my parents car in this same fashion, and it works great!

Items you need for this are crimpers/wire strippers, 16-14ga butt connectors (preferably un-insulated), 14ga wire (red/black for positive and negative), shrink tube, inline fuse holder and fuse, crimp-able alligator clips and some wire loom. If you have a soldering gun and some 60/40 rosin-core solder you can do this even cheaper as the butt connecters and crimpers won't be needed. This is easy and anyone can do this.

Thank you all for your help. I went with the Viair 70P from Amazon based on the reviews. It should arrive this week, will let you know how it goes.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Thank you all for your help. I went with the Viair 70P from Amazon based on the reviews.

Nice. I ended up ordering the 77P as a result of this thread. It's much quieter and faster than my old Slime. The cigarette plug is also of better quality. Good unit.

DSC_9814.jpg

That 77P looks way different than my 88P which it clamps to the battery terminals I guess because of the amp draw. Didn't come with a case of any kind but I bought a tool bag that just fit about right.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I ended up ordering the 77P as a result of this thread. It's much quieter and faster than my old Slime. The cigarette plug is also of better quality. Good unit.

Well, after only a few months of very sporadic use, the compressor has developed some kind of an internal air leak. When I connect the hose to the tire, the air starts escaping through it somehow. You hear a hissing sound coming from the compressor area. Let's see what it'll take to get this taken care of under warranty...

So, Viair can't seem to find anything wrong with it. They soap bubble tested it and it does not leak while in their possession. Ugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back