Is it cost effective to buy a pistol out of state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a frugal shopper, I found the pistol I want and it's about $100-$200 cheaper than what my local gun stores sell it for - https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod...tition+.45+Blue

My Nephew managed a gun store here in California (but now manages another store in Nevada) and he said, "On my end you would pay for the firearm and shipping which runs $30 for handguns, and no sales tax. On the other end you would pay for that stores Transfer Fee, California Sales Tax on the purchase price, and the $25 background check."

If he's correct, and I'm sure he is, having to pay local sales tax makes it not worthwhile to buy a pistol online! By the time I pay that in addition to the other miscellaneous fees...I might as well buy the gun locally!

Comments? Suggestions? Words of wisdom?

smile.gif

Ed

If you buy from Bud's then the only thing you are responsible for at the local level is whatever the fee they charge. last time I bought from buds, two months ago, I paid them for the HK and their shipping. Went to my ffl and paid him $20 forvthe transfer and was on my way.

What is the local gun shop going to charge you to go through the hoops to get the gun shipped in to california and then registered to you?.

I just googled to verify, not being from California, I figured it was similar to an excise tax on online purchases, but apparently not. I guess the FFL is required to receive sales tax?? That's pretty crazy stuff.

I guess whether its worth it is up to you. You'd be paying tax either way, so cheaper is cheaper. I would have no issue buying online and saving $1-200.

I could be wrong, maybe a California thing but sales tax would be where the sale actually takes place, at Buds. not where you get gun transferred to. Here in Tennessee you buy gun have it shipped to ffl, where you pay fee( usually 20.00) and a 10.00 background check on handguns. I checked and in California youd have to pay 25.00 a 19.00 background check, a safety act fee of 1.00 and a 5.00 enforcement fee. then the transfer fee charged by shop 20.00 to 40.00. you'd come out ahead.
will have to be gun that meets California magazine limits though.

Last edited:
You need to make sure the handgun you are looking at is on California's approved list. Also your FFL and 10 day waiting period must be in California to be legal here.

Make sure its a calif approved gun. I bought from a dealer out of state. It had to be shipped to an ffl, then i had to pay my local ffl dealer about $35 to transfer it to me. Contact a local gunshop and make sure they are ok for you to ship to them and have them do the transfer.

Verify what the receiving dealer will charge for the transfer. I've heard that Bay Area dealers are charging $100-$200.

Ed

A number of states are using the FFL to mandate collection of sales tax. The state's position is the sales tax is due on all internet sales. This is one of the few they can collect, by making the third party collect it.

They are doing this in Nevada now also.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Verify what the receiving dealer will charge for the transfer. I've heard that Bay Area dealers are charging $100-$200.

Ed

Ouch! My local (Portland Oregon) pawn shop does transfers for $25.

BSW

Here my transfer dealer charges $25 and I get to take the gun home same day.

In Kalifornia, you have to make sure its on the approved handgun roster. You have to find a dealer willing to do the transfer, and pay sales tax.

In conclusion, this isn't a question for us guys on the net. You should be talking to your local dealers about the transfer, what their cost is, and if you have to pay sales tax. It may even be possible (and cheaper) to find a Colt stocking dealer in your area and buy it directly from them.

I buy local when I can because I appreciate good service from people that know my name.

If there isn't anything about buying local that appeals to you, then by all means, give your nephew the sale. Better yet, he gifts it to you.

Nice pistol by the way.

You have to make sure that specific part number, not just the model is on the approved list. My FN Five-SeveN is on the list, but I could only get black, the green and tan versions were not approved.

It is. More cost effective if you are able to buy it from the manufacturer or the wholesaler. Less hands changed, the more cost effective.

My FFL charges $25....3 days to ship and I always get delayed 5 days because some idiot has the same name as me.

But Buds is great.

I am glad I live in the gun friendly state of Missouri.

I have ordered quite a few guns from Bud's and they charge no shipping and no sales tax on a firearm sent to my FFL.

I go to my local FFL(local pawn shop), pay them $20 to perform the 4473 check, and I am done.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
You have to make sure that specific part number, not just the model is on the approved list. My FN Five-SeveN is on the list, but I could only get black, the green and tan versions were not approved.

Are you serious? What does the paint job on a pistol have to do with its approval?

I thought California was a "tolerant" state that did not judge by oolor.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Are you serious? What does the paint job on a pistol have to do with its approval?

I thought California was a "tolerant" state that did not judge by oolor.

Each one has a different part number and the state charges $40,000 per part number for the privilege of being on the approved list.

Originally Posted By: Doog
My FFL charges $25....3 days to ship and I always get delayed 5 days because some idiot has the same name as me.

But Buds is great.

what I don't like about Buds is that when a gun is really hot on the market, they don't sell them, they auction them off and take advantage of the desire and use it to often overcharge. That is not cool to me, especially when there are customers with backorders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back