least expensive usable oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note i said least expensive and not cheap, in reference to the indirect costs of actually degrading or endangering the vehicle...

I plead guilty to being the guy who generally buys the least expensive option for both oil and oil filter. Only because I dont know how to sort out the valid information from the [censored], and assuming if it was too bad they wouldn't sell it. However I change very regularily in advance of the normal intervals and have tended to have cars last a good long time.

If your main concern is just keeping costs down and not making something last a million miles on a perfect maintenance plan, which filter(s) would you be using? Are there any that are just flat out [censored] and arent worth putting on even if free?

Purolator Classics and PureOnes are the only ones to be avoided due to a proclivity to tear their media in service.
All others should be OK. I like O'Reilly Autoparts MicroGard oil filters, made by Wix, but as cheaply as they can, very cheap stuff there. (Cheap as or cheaper than Walmart in my application.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: columnshift
Note i said least expensive and not cheap

This pretty much describes me on this subject as well. I buy the WIX black can filters all day long when I visit America for $5. This is a very good filter and for $5 I feel you can't go wrong. On my Shelby, I buy the Ford filter for a little less, I think $4 and some change again, when I am in America. The Ford filter is available at all the usual US retailers (AutoZone, etc.). So I think you can get what you want for the $5 price point easily enough. You didn't post the car so unless it is some bizarre exotic i.e. Veyron you should be in this range.

I use Denso filters at about $3.50 from RockAuto. Very sturdy filters at a good price, even when you factor in the shipping cost.

Any of the Wix private label filters are a safe bet for an economy filter.
Napa Proselect or silver, Parts master ect...
I just picked up some "master pack" (come in shrink wrap not a box)
NAPA Proselects for my grandmothers Kia for $1.69 each!

If your a 3k-5k OCI guy, then just go with Wix made house brand filters like Napa Proselect/Silver, Microguard, etc. Fram Extra-Guard would be just fine too. Not a fan of Purolator made filters due to the well documented media tear issues, but most likely do not tear and you'd probably be fine (but I say why risk it?).

Originally Posted By: columnshift
Note i said least expensive and not cheap ...

Those two things are usually mutually exclusive requirements, but going with a lower tier good known major brand is you best bet, as many mentioned above.

Truth be told, whatever the "special" is at the time is likely going to be your best bet. I would still avoid Purolator/Tearolator until they get their act together. I tend to go with NAPA Gold/WIX when they are on sale (Napa and OReillys are the closest to my work). So even with the Wix-made Microgards, I am ok paying the $2 extra for the WIX branded filter. I go with a "cheaper" oil as than filter because I (personally) think that there is a bigger difference top-to-bottom on filters than there is on oil.

As far as being "fine" then really any "known" filters tend to be better than you expect and those manufacture-related re-bands are normally a good value.

Last edited:
From what I have read, the Baldwin/Hastings oil filters can be had at clearance prices for like $2 each.

I would say the orange Fram oil filters, but even Fram's least expensive filter is starting to approach the $5 price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back