Castrol Magantec best synthetic for the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Walmart selling Castrol Magnatec for $18.74 a 5 quart jug. This has to be the least expensive full synthetic oil on the market.

Is Castrol Edge better than Magntec or does it just last longer?

I can afford the $10+ a quart oils.
I bought the Mag deal from Wally World this week.
Honestly I'm too anal to let oil sit in the car forever
so this is what I'm using. So to me its a $1 and change more than
Super Tech. Shipping wise the Mag bottle is better and pours better and it heavy enough to use for continual oil disposal.

Plus its top rated oil and thus a good deal.

With oils like Castrol Magnatec and Supertech full synthetic being dexos1 licensed, I can't find a reason to ever use conventional oil ever again. The price difference between the Magnatec and Supertech full synthetic is pretty close to conventional oil per quart.

People can curse dexos1 all they want, but it is a more stringent spec than API SN or ILSAC GF-5.

I think you could argue for a few $ more, Castrol Edge & Mobil 1 in 0w40, are far superior synthetics.

Originally Posted By: Benito
I think you could argue for a few $ more, Castrol Edge & Mobil 1 in 0w40, are far superior synthetics.

You could argue that, but without facts it would be useless.

The question is Castrol Magnatec the best full synthetic for the money. I am sure there are plenty of better synthetics, but they cost more.

Originally Posted By: stchman

The question is Castrol Magnatec the best full synthetic for the money. I am sure there are plenty of better synthetics, but they cost more.

Maybe. But remember that Magnatec 5w-30, unlike the x-20 viscosities, is a synthetic blend, not a full synthetic.

It is a steal at current pricing no doubt. Best is too subjective but at that price you can hardly go wrong.

Originally Posted By: Danh

Maybe. But remember that Magnatec 5w-30, unlike the x-20 viscosities, is a synthetic blend, not a full synthetic.

I just noticed that, why would Castrol make the 0W-20 ad 5W-20 a full synthetic while the 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30 a synthetic blend? The even funnier thing is that all the viscosities are the same price

Maybe not for Ford where it specifies 5w-20
However I do not sweat the MFG recommendation's but others
live by them. After a certain point we are splitting hairs.

For those that use 0w20 or 5w20 this oil should work fine for 7 to 8K OCIs....using one of the higher priced syns for that OCI would probably be a waste of money. The same can probably be said for ST syn., NAPA syn., or Mobil SS.

What category are Gas to liquids oils.

I WAS a long time user of Mobil 1. WM was out of my weight, and there was a sale on Quaker State Syn with gas to liquid. Well, my Buick has always used about 1 quart per 4000 miles. With this oil it uses about 1 quart every 6K when it gets changed.

It also seems to be quieter and smoother, but butt dynos are notorious for being incorrect.

So I am sold. Sorry M1.

Rod

For $18.74 probably.

But I qualified my statement that for a few $ more you get something far superior.

If you want to argue down to the dollar or cent, then I could say SuperTech is the best synthetic for the money as well.

For $18.74 probably.

But I qualified my statement that for a few $ more you get something far superior.

Okay, show us how they are far superior.

Originally Posted By: TTK

For $18.74 probably.

Okay, show us how they are far superior.

Go to the lubrizol comparative performance tool.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
I WAS a long time user of Mobil 1. WM was out of my weight, and there was a sale on Quaker State Syn with gas to liquid. Well, my Buick has always used about 1 quart per 4000 miles. With this oil it uses about 1 quart every 6K when it gets changed.

When did Quaker State synthetic become Gas-to-Liquid? I didn't get the memo.

@Benito
Been there - done that. Doesn't say a think about oils superior to Magnatec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back