Sonata Engine Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Restore does work to restore compression. Guy put it in a 200,000 mile Honda Civic motor with compression low around ~30% on two specific cylinders, added restore, tested again, and it fully got compression back on the bad two cylinders, and the other two good cylinders were the same (stayed good).

Just. No.

correlation-vs-causation.jpg

correlation.png

I'm watching the video for the Hyundai Theta 2.4 L GDI Engine

I'm looking at all the moving parts while trying to determine which part(s) have the potential to make that noise.

1. Pistons moving up and down in their bores
2. Valves moving up and down in their guides
3. Valve springs compressing and uncompressing
4. Rotating camshafts pushing valves open and closed
5. Rotating crankshaft and connecting rods pushing pistons up and down in their bores
6. Fuel injectors opening and closing
7. Timing chain rotating around the crankshaft gear and camshaft gears in between its chain guides and chain guide tensioner

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470987707.html

Above is a good read... might help some understand copper/silver/lead nano particles

Might want to try a ws2 or boron additive.
There is also an oil with a load of graphite/PTFE/MoS2, or mix your own.

I bet if you get the engine rebuilt properly, you wont have any noises.

If I need an additive to make my engine quiet, I'm either searching for a new engine, a machine shop, or a new loss-leader form the local dealership.

Go buy a stethoscope & listen to various parts of the engine/ timing chain cover area on the bolt heads/ nuts/ etc & you'll pinpoint the noise & have a decent idea what is causing it.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Go buy a stethoscope & listen to various parts of the engine/ timing chain cover area on the bolt heads/ nuts/ etc & you'll pinpoint the noise & have a decent idea what is causing it.

Unfortunately I've tried that already, even listened to the oil pan and tranny and it sounds so smooth it baffles me. I'll probably bring it in this Monday for diagnosis at the Hyundai dealership, $75, if I get it repaired there it gets waived. I hope it's nothing too major since it has done a good 14,000km with no issues.

The question is - what moving part of the engine could make that noise and still allow the engine to run without throwing a DTC. If it was a pushrod engine, I'd suspect a collapsed lifter, but we're dealing with a DOHC engine here. As of now, I'm leaning towards a failed timing chain tensioner - there's two of them on that engine. The timing chain could be swinging against the timing chain cover causing that noise. Hopefully, the timing chain doesn't skip a tooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back