To filter change or not to filter change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Joenpb
Sorry to hear you drive a Dodge mini van.
grin.gif

Don't be. I love driving that thing. I'm not the mercedes/bmw driving kinda of guy. I need room to put all my kayak, camping, biking, running gear. The van does that with loads to spare + 4 kids and a hot wife
grin.gif

Do you drive like this?
grin.gif

images_zpsw3ypfluv.jpg

LOL

The OLM on my Civic is stating 40% left with only ~4k miles so far. If it's linear I'm looking at about 7k miles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
grin.gif

I preach following the OEM maintenance schedule, if it states 10k mile OCI with conventional oil you should be good to go. If it states 10K with a synthetic, your car will probably end up like this. Good luck.

Totally 100% false.

10K OCI with conventional is okay but 10k with synthetic will sludge up the engine is totally wrong.

That's not what I wrote.

That statement was taken out of context, he said he uses conventional oil for a 10k OCI, I said that was fine if the OEM manual stated to use conventional oil. If it stated to use synthetic for 10k, I said his engine would probably sludge up using conventional oil for the long of an interval.

Originally Posted By: webfors
grin.gif

Don't be. I love driving that thing. I'm not the mercedes/bmw driving kinda of guy. I need room to put all my kayak, camping, biking, running gear. The van does that with loads to spare + 4 kids and a hot wife
grin.gif

Good for you!

grin.gif

grin.gif

Minivans are incredibly useful. Versatile, ride smoothe, handle OK compared to a live axle truck based vehicle, lower c.g. ... A lot of people refuse to be seen in one based on psychological image. They are nuts.

I quote your statement completely, I just underlined it.

Now I understand what you mean. It should be written:

"if it states 10k mile OCI with conventional oil you should be good to go. If it states 10K with a synthetic and you use conventional, your car will probably end up like this"

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
grin.gif

grin.gif

Minivans are incredibly useful. Versatile, ride smoothe, handle OK compared to a live axle truck based vehicle, lower c.g. ... A lot of people refuse to be seen in one based on psychological image. They are nuts.

Funny isn't it? My neighbor cringed when I told him I bought a minivan. This is the guy who drives an F150 back and forth to work everyday alone with no tools/gear. He does not work with his hands LOL.

I asked him why he didn't like minivans, and he said "because it's a minivan".

Image is everything to many.

To the OP:

Why would you put a Fram Ultra (high end long life filter) and NOT use a log life oil(Mobil 1 EP or Amsoil Signature Series)? If you are going to use conventional oil, use an inexpensive oil filter.

To some in this thread that think the manufacturer wants your vehicle to wear out sooner, I call [censored]. Automakers don't need to wish that people's cars wear out sooner than expected, most people are natural idiots and F their car up all on their own. Besides, if a car maker's card wear out real fast, people won't buy them.

^^

A couple reasons.

1) the truck has always used conventional oil

2) I believe the cars oil monitor is calibrated for conventional oil, and my wife actually pays attention to it

Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman
^^

A couple reasons.

2) I believe the cars oil monitor is calibrated for conventional oil, and my wife actually pays attention to it

That's OK. If you are going to maintain a 5K OCI, then buying a $9 oil filter is not going to benefit you when a $3 oil filter will do the job.

There is nothing that will keep you from using synthetic oil. Mobil 1 is only a tad bit more expensive and is an all around better oil than Super 5000.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman
^^

A couple reasons.

That's OK. If you are going to maintain a 5K OCI, then buying a $9 oil filter is not going to benefit you when a $3 oil filter will do the job.

There is nothing that will keep you from using synthetic oil. Mobil 1 is only a tad bit more expensive and is an all around better oil than Super 5000.

If someone wants to use a high efficiency/long life filter like that with conventional oil, then just leave the filter on for 2 or 3 5,000 mile OCIs. Lots of people do it with no ill effects.

Like This <---Link

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
18.gif
grin.gif

Z06, you can quote me if you want to. I don't mind.
smile.gif

^^^ I did.
grin.gif

Change all filters every OCI. Don't leave that fuel filter, transmission filter, air filter, or cabin filter to chance. Don't forget to change the PCV too. It's cheap and it's easy. Change them all.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Change all filters every OCI. Don't leave that fuel filter, transmission filter, air filter, or cabin filter to chance. Don't forget to change the PCV too. It's cheap and it's easy. Change them all.

I like your thinking!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Are you just too lazy to change the oil filter or, are you so tight with your money that you squeak when you walk?
grin.gif

"One Filter, One OCI!"

If it was due to laziness I'd go your route and do the Ultra or M1 filter and M1 EP................

Wait a minute, that's not a bad idea.... going that route means I'd have to get under the car once a year, not three times.

Your brilliant!

From a financial standpoint it's a wash, from a labor standpoint a no brainer. And if I watch out for rebates I come out ahead.

BTW, did the oil drop the other day. The ultra stayed in place

Super 5000 $13 every 5000 miles x 3 = $39 for 15,000 miles
Ultra filter $10
get under the car 3 times

$49 to go 15K

M1 EP = $28 for 15K mile protection
Ultra = $10
get under the car once

$38

this math stuff is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.