Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 in my 2015 RX 350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again Y`all. I have found 3 jugs of the Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 approx 2 years old in my shed. This is the stuff we all raved about when it was the current formula. Anyway, I am thinking of using this in my 15 RX. It should be no problem using this for 10k miles correct? I know Yota is big on the 0W20 oil for best fuel economy and cold starts. But I see no reason why this would not be more that acceptable to use right? What do you guys think? Thanks.

I would use it without hesitation. It is one of the finest syns. available and the 5w shouldn't have any negative effect on anything IMO...

Originally Posted By: pbm
I would use it without hesitation. It is one of the finest syns. available and the 5w shouldn't have any negative effect on anything IMO...

thats what i was thinking as well. but i`m not sure if my car still specs sn. i will have to check.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Hi again Y`all. I have found 3 jugs of the Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 approx 2 years old in my shed. This is the stuff we all raved about when it was the current formula. Anyway, I am thinking of using this in my 15 RX. It should be no problem using this for 10k miles correct? I know Yota is big on the 0W20 oil for best fuel economy and cold starts. But I see no reason why this would not be more that acceptable to use right? What do you guys think? Thanks.

I think you should go ahead and use the Ultra.

When I had my 2011 RX, the manual stated that if 0W20 is unavailable, you can use 5W20 as a substitute, but it must be replaced with 0W20 at the next interval. My FIL had the exact same engine in his 2008 RX and I used 5W20 all the time and had no problems.

Hope this helps.

I'm sure your Lexus spec and SN oil. But in 0w-20, not 5w-20. So theoretically it could become a warranty issue.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Use it! but also what's your OCI? if you are on a 6month schedule, I suppose you could alternate a 0w for winter.

My brother is visiting here today and he has the RX350. He says his manual is very specific and says that 0-20 is the go to weight but, on an interrupt basis, using 5-20 is OK if, and only if, the next change is back to 0-20. Sounds like you can use up what you found and not sweat the warranty (dumb as it is).

5W-20 and 0W-20 are the same at operating temperatures. Unless one lives in a REALLY cold climate (-20F), there is going to be no difference between the two as far as your engine is concerned.

To the OP, if you are going to go 10K on an oil change, get a really good filter like a Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, or Amsoil filter. I would stick to what the manufacturer recommends on oil change intervals as this is a 2015.

thank you all for your replies! raytseng i hear ya re the 0W for the winter. toyota seems real adamant re; the use of the 0W thats why i asked for your replies. they claim this updated 3.5l motor is designed specifically for the 0W oil. i dont know if that is true or not or scare tactic or whatever. but i do know that ultra is some good stuff so....

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
My brother is visiting here today and he has the RX350. He says his manual is very specific and says that 0-20 is the go to weight but, on an interrupt basis, using 5-20 is OK if, and only if, the next change is back to 0-20. Sounds like you can use up what you found and not sweat the warranty (dumb as it is).

Theoretically, if you get caught in warranty issues with a claim how could they prove you were using 5w-20 consecutive times anway?

Couldn't agree more however that is being logical. I forget the legal term for when it is known to both parties that one of the parties has the upper hand in any agreement. Although not directly applicable, in cases like these, "winning" the argument is almost completely at their dispensation. In other words, if they want to play nice they will and if they do not, well ... how much time and money do you have?

The issue with the warranty is a moot point because the OP bought a LEXUS.

You're not going to have issues with warranty claims, as compared to other brands, especially if you're the original NEW purchaser (as compared to the guy who bought it used, with 1month left on the warranty).
They will give you the benefit of the doubt, or goodwill a repair to you and not make you "prove" you used a particular oil.
Lexus values customer satisfaction and loyalty to the extreme.

Taking the extreme flipside:

If you got a problem, and they really decide to deny you a warranty claim(when they suspect it's your fault), they will use some other made up reason that's not disputable and they will avoid getting in a he-said/she-said argument; so the issue of the oil won't make the difference.

(Meaning if you got denied, if you went back in time and had proof you used the 0w-20 it wouldn't have made a difference in the warranty outcome)

Don't worry about it, unless you truly have NOTHING else to worry about.

Last edited:
Toyota seems pretty adamant about the user using 0W-20 over 5W-20, but they do state that if 0W-20 is not available, 5W-20 can be used, and just that 0W-20 should be used the next oil change.

Since Pennzoil Ultra is a full synthetic, I think the OP is in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back