How are champion spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 67lemans
From my experience, OEM plugs work best. If it came from the factory with Champions that's what it gets.
Technology advances, and the factory plug for an older car may no longer be the best. Champion makes a thin wire center electrode replacement for B&S L head engines which I have found IS an improvement over the stock Champion.

I am using Champion single platinum on my 95 Corolla since 120k miles, and at 235k miles I think it is still doing well.

I haven't done any fuel economy comparison with the OEM NGK V power "copper" plugs however.

Last edited:
Use the OE Denso Iridium
smile.gif

Oddly enough it seems like Champion makes the only replacement plug for my 2012 Mazda 3 w/Skyactiv. You can get the OEM NGK plugs at the dealer - for $30 each, but they are not listed on the NGK or Denso sites. The Champions are on Rock Auto. They are Iridium center electrode with a platinum disc on the ground electrode. A Mazda service bulletin cautions about using anything else but that configuration.

Edit: Correction, Rock Auto now carries a Bosch plug for this engine as well. Both that one and the Champion are less than $6 each.

I don't think a Corolla would be too picky about plugs, so the Champions would probably work fine. They are probably just single platinum plugs and don't have as long life.

The 06 Corolla comes with Iridium plugs stock. The safe choice is NGK Laser Iridiums. I'm trying the much less expensive NGK G-Power single platinum plugs in my Corolla.

My 1989 Accord came from the factory in Ohio with Champion plugs (and a Delco battery). At some point I was chatting with the dealership parts guy and he swore that there was no way the car came with Champion plugs - HAD to be NGK. Well, they were Champion. Over the 23 years I owned the car I used Champion, NGK, Denso, Bosch, Autolite, Split Fire, and E3 plugs, both platinum and copper. No spark plug ever made any noticeable difference to me in the way the car drove or the fuel economy. I did run platinum plugs 50-60K miles v. 30K for copper.

I am not sold on the idea that spark plug brand/type makes any difference.

Champion is fine. So id Autolite, Delco,ND and Bosch.

Some vehicles are picky. Most are not. The ones that are, the information is usually on the internet.

Example BMW 1150 motorcycle engine. Mine does best with 4 electrode Bosch.

Others swear by autolite. Many do not do as well with OE, which is a 2 electrode ND.

Everything else does fine with what I put in.

Rod

Don't even use Champs in my OPE anymore. First step in a purchase is a new NGK. The Champ (or Torch, ughh) rots in the parts box waiting for emergencies that'll never happen. Plugs are so cheap and so far I've only had no hassle experiences with NGK and Denso.

Originally Posted By: B20z
Don't even use Champs in my OPE anymore. First step in a purchase is a new NGK. The Champ (or Torch, ughh) rots in the parts box waiting for emergencies that'll never happen. Plugs are so cheap and so far I've only had no hassle experiences with NGK and Denso.

I've not used Champion plugs in a vehicle newer than 1972 MY. However my OPE runs on Champion if it came with it. They run well with the Champion plugs, no complaints. My new snow blower came with a Chinese Torch spark plug. Before the initial use I went to get a Champion plug but could not. I got a NGK plug instead. However I ran this past winter with the factory Torch plug and it started on the first pull all the time and ran without any hesitation, no matter the conditions, totally smooth. First sign of roughness or hard starting I'll swap it for the NGK. Would I buy another Torch plug, no. They are around $6.00 and the NGK is around $2.60, a no brainer.

Whimsey

The "standard" Champion plugs I've found cracked/chipped insulators new from the box.

I like the bubble packaging at Walmart, you can see the insulators and make sure they are good before purchase.

Last edited:
? And how do u get to the back spark plugs on a v6 ford? I changed my 4 cyl camry spark plugs and it was easy but the back ones on a taurus seem hard to do. Oreillys said to get a universail joint for my socket so it can swivel around. Is thst right? Is there anything else I need and I had trouble with dropping the pan on the 09 taurus. Where is it and is it sideways? Also i saw a large 16oz permatex anti seize spray for spark plugs and that's larger than the small packets they usually sell but is it worth it? Or do you prefer the small packets and are there any intemediate sizes between the large spraycan and the small packets and if so, where are they sold? Thanks

Engineer20,

This is Voltmaster's Corolla spark plug thread. You'll have better luck getting answers to your questions if you start your own thread about your Taurus.

At least this time you're in the first subforum!

Originally Posted By: engineer20
? And how do u get to the back spark plugs on a v6 ford? I changed my 4 cyl camry spark plugs and it was easy but the back ones on a taurus seem hard to do. Oreillys said to get a universail joint for my socket so it can swivel around. Is thst right? Is there anything else I need and I had trouble with dropping the pan on the 09 taurus. Where is it and is it sideways? Also i saw a large 16oz permatex anti seize spray for spark plugs and that's larger than the small packets they usually sell but is it worth it? Or do you prefer the small packets and are there any intemediate sizes between the large spraycan and the small packets and if so, where are they sold? Thanks

so now my camry won't start
I thought it was the battery, replaced that
now, I got an aap toughone starter and put it in (thanks to youtube tutorial videos) and the car still won't start. my old starter was bad because after changing the battery, I'd hit it with a mallet and the car would start, but then , hitting didn't work anymore, so I got a new starter, could it be I didn't put it in correctly, or aap gave me the wrong stasrter?
how's autozone starters or oreilly starters, or the aap carquest starter? I'm disappointed they gave me the wrong starter or a bad starter that won't start the car!

Originally Posted By: 67lemans
From my experience, OEM plugs work best. If it came from the factory with Champions that's what it gets.

Good advice.

As far as plugs go I have tried every gimmick out there. The only ones that I found do improve engine performance were E3 brand however stock ignition systems don't always have enough juice to run them or if there's a weak spot in the ignition such as a coil or plug wire the engine will miss til the eosed weakness is fixed.
To eliminate any potential issues oem is the best choice. So if champion was your oem part then they will be fine

I've always been a fan of Champion spark plugs, however... The last set I had began running poorly after about 25k miles. They were double platinum tipped. When I pulled the plugs I was surprised to find the platinum tips almost fully eroded away on two of the four plugs. The excessive gap was causing mis-fire under certain conditions. It was almost like the "platinum" wasn't up to spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back