Made it 30 days smoke free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is day 30 and I dont miss cigarettes. I feel better and have had virtually no side effects. For anyone wanting to quit its possible. Quit drinking beer Wednesday so I'm on my 30 day voyage right now. Anyone got any good stories on quiting I would love to hear your story too.

Good for you.

I have some tips and thoughts.

First, reaching out on the internet is a good thing. But I hope you are also mobilizing people around you to support you. The people in your life day to day need to be your first line of defense.

I smoked casually to be cool in college and DC as a young professional. Everyone "cool" did and I followed along. Wrong.

Then I marred a heavy smoker and had to smoke to survive, or suffer.

We divorced years later and it took me years to wean off it and get to "zero".

So analyze why you smoke, how the habit developed. If going to "zero" doesn't' work for you right away, don't fault yourself necessarily.

Good work and think about it.

Congratulations. Smoking is a disgusting, unhealthy habit and you're smart to put them down and not pick them back up. Not only will you feel better, but it won't be long before you realize how much it stinks when you have to be around someone who does smoke.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I quit smoking by chewing on cinnamon toothpicks.

I used the same method after I quit using tobacco. I have chewed thousands of toothpicks.

I won't die from tobacco, now I just have to worry about dying from splinters. LOL

One of the most immediate benefits of stopping smoking, after having done so for a while, is all of the extra MONEY you have in your pocket, especially if you smoked a pack a day.

I never have smoked, so I can't offer you any personal anecdotes, but I do congratulate you on your decision and your victory over the stink stick!

I smoked off and on for 30 years sometimes only a couple cigarettes/week. Just never got "hooked". This will be the best thing you ever do in your life. I am 69 and look back and say.."How could I be so stupid to have smoked"

Hey Oro_O: You said, "I smoked casually to be cool in college and DC as a young professional."
Does DC mean "Drank Constantly"? Ha-Ha

Seriously, good job on quitting. My brother is having luck with a vapor stick. My brother-in-law quit cold turkey.
His wife, my sister obviously, has cut way down and if I mention her smoking she gives me a look which can remove paint.
My friend upstate still smokes heavily and at 63 is hacking and gurgling constantly. He has complained about walking for over 20 years. His skin has been lousy for 30.
He buys big bags of Bugler or American Spirit tobacco and rolls big, fat, wet cigs. I wonder what his lungs look like.

So good you've quit Marco. Kira

Congrats! Keep up the good work Marco! Like others have said,it's probably the worst habit possible. Smoking will literally age you. I work with people who've smoked all their life that are my exact same age and they look old enough to be my parents!

For me it was 5 minutes at a time, then an hour and finally a day at a time. Now approaching 4 years on 8/9/2015. Tough to do but, one needs to say NO, every time I want one and every once in a while, I want one. The urge comes back forever, people with 30 years tell me. Good going Marco. Ed

Good job. One of the things that is mentioned in recovering from any addiction is people, places or things. So avoid those that might cause you to have a cigarette. At least for awhile.

I bought a pack of cigarettes from a vending machine when I was 10 or 12 years old for 50 cents. Went into the woods with friends and tried to smoke but coughed. So my smoking career ended after 1 or 2 cigarettes.

In college almost everyone smoked and a few chewed tobacco (gross).

I am over 60 now and never tried smoking again after those 1 or 2 cigarettes. Now with cigarettes costing over $9.00 a pack, I cannot imagine smoking.

Last edited:
Good job OP. Keep it up now, once you get past the first few days the cravings and the "I want a cigarette" will get a lot easier. You have made it a month now and it is hard to do. Before you know it it will be a year. It keeps goetting easier the longer you stay quit. I had my last one on December 4, 2003 and I sure don't miss it. As time goes on you will feel a lot better and wonder why you ever started smoking in the first place. Congrats to you.

Congrats, and stay with it. Never smoked but I know it can be very difficult for some to stop.

If you don't mind, wondering how long and how much you smoked?

In any case you are on the right track and your wallet will have some extra $$$$.

Good for you! Resist the urge to ever smoke again. Best decision for your health. Next, eat a proper diet and avoid FF as much as possible.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Today is day 30 and I dont miss cigarettes. I feel better and have had virtually no side effects. For anyone wanting to quit its possible. Quit drinking beer Wednesday so I'm on my 30 day voyage right now. Anyone got any good stories on quiting I would love to hear your story too.

Keep it up. I was a 13 year smoker and gave it up May 12th, 2005. Not going back.

By now your sense of smell is coming back and your tastebuds will gradually over the coming months. I had vivid, weird dreams for about a year after quitting.

Congratulations.
If you made it 30 days, you are well on your way.
I quit cold turkey (I was 2 packs a day) in 1985.
I did it by making sure that I couldn't afford it. I went out and bought a very expensive stereo system. Still using some of the components of that system today.
I dealt with the cravings with dum-dum suckers. It took me 3 large bags before I totally kicked the cravings.
Gained 25 pounds in the first 6 months, but still much healthier as a result.
Have not touched a cigarette since. However, I do allow myself 2 cigars a year on vacation. I had one last year on vacation, which was the first I had on a yearly vacation since 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back