Fram TG3506 cut open 5500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram TG3506, 5500 miles from the 2000 Cavalier with a 2.4 using Defy 5w-30.
This engine seems to be really hard on filters. I replaced it with a Mobil-1 filter this time. After the Mobil-1 I think I will try a Fram Ultra. Maybe the wire backed media will help in this car. I am also curious to see how a Wix holds up in this car also.

ADBV is really soft. The end discs are wavy and fuzzy near the bent pleats. There are no torn pleats.

2015-07-30%2009.55.21.jpg

2015-07-30%2009.54.49.jpg

2015-07-30%2009.55.45.jpg

2015-07-30%2009.55.51.jpg

2015-07-30%2009.56.09.jpg

2015-07-30%2009.56.15.jpg

This is the AC Delco that was on before. it has 4000 miles on it. It didn't have any torn pleats when I cut it open, but after sitting for a few months it is brittle now. The pleats next to the seam tore when I picked it up to take a picture. The ADBV is really stiff. The longer this filter sits out of oil, the more fragile it gets.

2015-07-25%2019.20.57.jpg

Here it is next to the Pro-Select.
2015-07-25%2019.19.17.jpg

Your car must not like any oil filter. Do you suspect that there may be something happening with the oil pump?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Boy, now there's a [censored] looking Fram.

Didn't tear, but they should space their pleats better. Outside of Fram Ultra, I don't like the construction of just about any brand of oil filter. Other brands can do the wavy thing too, with bad spacing.
Purolator Synthetic, Royal Purple oil filters, Fram Ultra at least have wire backed media.

Both filters are out of the FRAM/Champ UCI camp.

You are probably seeing some family similarities there.

I'd try a Wix/NAPA and see how that looks after your standard OCI.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Boy, now there's a [censored] looking Fram.

Didn't tear, but they should space their pleats better. Outside of Fram Ultra, I don't like the construction of just about any brand of oil filter. Other brands can do the wavy thing too, with bad spacing.
Purolator Synthetic, Royal Purple oil filters, Fram Ultra at least have wire backed media.

Don't trust your lying eyes...

That FRAM could go another 10,000 miles.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

And Wix XP/Napa Platinum
smile.gif

Seen plenty of wavy pleats and uneven spacing with metal end caps so that argument is mute.

Not pretty construction and I'm curious how mine will look at the end of the OCI...but feel good that it seems to have survived your "filter eating" vehicle with no tears which means it did work.

Thanks for the C&P.

Filter may look ugly, but it looks like it did its job. Having said that, I can only imagine what it would look like had you taken it to the full 10k.

Nothing wrong with the TG, all seals are intact, very good indentation on the fiber end disc. The movement on the edge of the disc actually helps prevent pleat tears.

That is a good reason to stop cutting open filters. What you don't know won't hurt you. I fail to understand how your car is harder on filters than my car.

First, props to you for pics showing clear endcap views of both ends down the centertube ie., pics #3 and #4. And yes as noted by a Fram devotee in this TG there are clear indentations AND COVERAGE of the centertube ends. However, that is in contrast a recent orange can dissection that clearly showed centertube end especially on the bypass/leaf spring end (pic#4 here).

So unlike the orange can where Ed Hackett recently noted areas of bypass, this TG looks to have maintained endcap/centertube end seal integrity, ie. no bypass here.

The area around the seam 'looks' pretty ugly. The flex in fiber endcap especially shown in pic #5 allowed some play so the pleat(s) didn't tear in that area. However imo, there reaches a point (in longer fci) like in the recent orange can, where the pleats exerts a pull on the endcap to the centertube area and the centertube end can be exposed.

Bottom line here though, while not the most aesthetically pleasing TG especially in the seam pleat area, looks to have gotten the job done at 5500 miles. It does appear 'imo' that an extra pleat or two(more media), would have prevented the pleat fold back.

Thanks for the excellent pics.

It looks like to me that when they are making the filter they need to spread the pleats out more uniform before gluing. I'm not sure more pleats are needed. It just needs better spacing between the pleats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back