Ex Top Gear hosts ink deal with Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for the hosts, good for Amazon, good for us.

Hope Clarkson doesn't abuse anyone at Amazon and screw it up again.

Looks like I'll be getting Amazon Prime. Always wanted that free two-day shipping anyhow
smile.gif

A whole new batch of "Caravans" to destroy. Meanwhile, the BB "we're SOOOOOOOOO correct" C is gonna be out about 40 mil...USD. Bleep em.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
A whole new batch of "Caravans" to destroy. Meanwhile, the BB "we're SOOOOOOOOO correct" C is gonna be out about 40 mil...USD. Bleep em.

Whoever let them get away may be regarded as one of the stupidest people in the world. The Top Gear franchise was worth a TON of money...

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Looks like I'll be getting Amazon Prime. Always wanted that free two-day shipping anyhow
smile.gif

This may finally be the excuse that I've been needing, to sign up for Prime as well...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Whoever let them get away may be regarded as one of the stupidest people in the world. The Top Gear franchise was worth a TON of money...

Not sure of that evaluation.

Clarkson is the one who made the huge mistake and reported himself. They didn't "let them get away", their hand was forced; when people are literally getting hurt and injured, they can't turn a blind eye anymore.

Just like pro athletes, the teams want them to extract profit, the but can only go so far when they do stupid things (see richie incognito).

You don't expect to get punched out when you go to work.

I suppose it goes to everyone's credit that they are able to hush up and not gossip about their internal dirty laundry, so to the public seems like everything is fine and normal.

A similar situation would be if back in the 80s NBC found out about what Cosby does in his spare time and suspended him. knowing what you know now, would you still be saying NBC is an idiot for suspending cosby.

Last edited:
Glad to hear the trio of Ambitious But Rubbish blokes will be back on Amazon - but more importantly, their previous producer, Andy Wilman, will be in charge of this New Car Show.

So not only do you get the on-camera buffoons but you get the brains behind the scenes as well. Good on them and good for us!

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Hope Clarkson doesn't abuse anyone at Amazon

I kinda hope he does.

If that's his shtick and folks like it, you can bet someone will find a way to sell it. It's all about the money, and removing a top show from a TV station's lineup is a huge loss for the network. Probably puts folks out of work, too...

I'm curious how the new hosts are going to be on the BBC show. I didn't care much about Jeremy Clarkson (not sure if he is a jerk or it's his TV persona) but the rest of the crew were OK.

I like Chris Evans so let's see how it goes. Will probably watch both the shows now -- on BBC and on Amazon Prime.

Nice now Amazon will give them a big budget and let them do whatever they want. Should be an awesome show.

Meanwhile the old Top Gear on the BBC will be as irrelevant as the US version.

I used to like Clarkson but after the incident few months ago that he berated and assaulted a producer over a dinner not to his standard, I lost my appreciation of his talent.

IIRC, he expected a steak dinner after a log day tapping but the producer got him something else, he verbally then physically assaulted the producer.

Should you punch someone on the face for not getting you a steak dinner ?

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Not sure of that evaluation.

Clarkson is the one who made the huge mistake and reported himself. They didn't "let them get away", their hand was forced; when people are literally getting hurt and injured, they can't turn a blind eye anymore.

Just like pro athletes, the teams want them to extract profit, the but can only go so far when they do stupid things (see richie incognito).

You don't expect to get punched out when you go to work.

I suppose it goes to everyone's credit that they are able to hush up and not gossip about their internal dirty laundry, so to the public seems like everything is fine and normal.

A similar situation would be if back in the 80s NBC found out about what Cosby does in his spare time and suspended him. knowing what you know now, would you still be saying NBC is an idiot for suspending cosby.

I think the Cosby analogy is a bit much. Other than that, I completely agree.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I used to like Clarkson but after the incident few months ago that he berated and assaulted a producer over a dinner not to his standard, I lost my appreciation of his talent.

IIRC, he expected a steak dinner after a log day tapping but the producer got him something else, he verbally then physically assaulted the producer.

Should you punch someone on the face for not getting you a steak dinner ?

To be fair, the hosts work a LOT harder than most people can even imagine. Also, Clarkson was having a pretty rough life at that time. Being tired and hungry at the end of a very long day while you're generally feeling run-down... Few people would keep their calm under those circumstances.

That said, punching someone is obviously beyond the pale, and no reasonable workplace would (or should!) tolerate it.

The reaction to this whole thing has been pretty disturbing. People -- including at least one person in this thread, who generally seems to have decent moral standing -- are suggesting with all apparent seriousness that Clarkson should have been given a pass because of how much money he brought in. There was also a huge backlash against the guy who got punched, which is even more outrageous. Amazing how easily people lose track of their moral compasses.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Nice now Amazon will give them a big budget and let them do whatever they want. Should be an awesome show.

Meanwhile the old Top Gear on the BBC will be as irrelevant as the US version.
+1 and ANOTHER +1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back