Cyclone Oil Separator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a cyclonic separator design be suitable as a catch can? Aside from space considerations it seems a cyclone separator would be preferable to internal baffling or the steel scrubber material.

My Mercedes diesels use this as an OEM device to catch blowzy from the crankcase and combust the gas while returning the oil to the sump!

IMO seperators are a waste of time and effort, because they are not 100% effective.

I have found the most effective, quickest, cheapest and most likely to perpetuate your 'OCD clean inlet manifold' way to deal with the issue, and that is to vent your egr and PCV to the exhaust downpipe. No worries about separating anything, no worries about carbon on your valves, everything on the clean side of the filter stays clean, and youre not VTA so nobody can complain.

Originally Posted By: Olas
IMO seperators are a waste of time and effort, because they are not 100% effective.

I have found the most effective, quickest, cheapest and most likely to perpetuate your 'OCD clean inlet manifold' way to deal with the issue, and that is to vent your egr and PCV to the exhaust downpipe. No worries about separating anything, no worries about carbon on your valves, everything on the clean side of the filter stays clean, and youre not VTA so nobody can complain.

Not worth it because they are not 100% effective? I would rather have 90%, or 80%, of the oil removed than 100% of it going into the engine. That's like ordering scrambled eggs, and stating that if they can't get all the egg shells out they should just leave the whole egg shell in.

Of primary concern is the fact that one car is a DI turbo engine, and the other is showing slight KR that I cannot seem to get rid of. The second car also has a faint oil smell through the vacuum system on occasion (common for the model) and is known to get oil in the intake.

I am having a difficult time understanding how one would vent the PCV system into the exhaust though. The engine is normally pulling a vacuum on the PCV system, the exhaust on the other hand is typically pressurized.

^^^Race cars do this, but, with some of the draconian inspections required by some of the states here in the U.S., you would NOT get away with this (at least not the visible inspection part).

Originally Posted By: Snoman002
Originally Posted By: Olas

Not worth it because they are not 100% effective? I would rather have 90%, or 80%, of the oil removed than 100% of it going into the engine. That's like ordering scrambled eggs, and stating that if they can't get all the egg shells out they should just leave the whole egg shell in.

Of primary concern is the fact that one car is a DI turbo engine, and the other is showing slight KR that I cannot seem to get rid of. The second car also has a faint oil smell through the vacuum system on occasion (common for the model) and is known to get oil in the intake.

I am having a difficult time understanding how one would vent the PCV system into the exhaust though. The engine is normally pulling a vacuum on the PCV system, the exhaust on the other hand is typically pressurized.

The difference between static and dynamic pressure, a la Bernoulli, makes sure the crankcase is always under vacuum.
This picture in th thread illustrates the concept

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/464888-Dumping-PCV-into-exhaust

Re the effectiveness, I think it's silly to spend time and only and effort on a problem only to not address it completely. Y'know, if you're going to do something you might as well do it right, so if your aim is to keep oil and gunk out of your throttle body and manifold the you need to make sure that you do it properly! Not just a half-job that only addresses half the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back