PQIA list of oils banned by certain states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a partial list of some of the engine oils banned by some states.

Auto Club Motor Oil SAE 5W-30
Auto Club Motor Oil SAE 10W-30
Auto Club Motor Oil SAE 10W-40
Auto Club Motor Oil SAE 20W-50
Black Knight Motor Oil 5-30
Black Knight Motor Oil 10-40
LubeState Motor Oil SAE 10W-30
MaxiGuard MG 10-30
MaxiGuard MG 10-40
MaxiGuard MG 20-50
Orbit Motor Oil 5-20
Orbit Motor Oil 10-40
TruStar Motor Oil 10-30
U.S. Economy Motor Oil 5-30
U.S. Economy Motor Oil 10-40
U.S. Economy Motor Oil SAE 10W-40
U.S. Spirit Motor Oil SAE 10W-30
U.S. Spirit Motor Oil SAE 10W-40

I never even heard of these oils. I wonder if these are the oils that are used by some shops when they have the $20 oil change special.

Why on earth would anyone use an obscure oil like one of the above.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They're at non-chain convenience stores, bodegas, and dollar/discount stores in the hood.

So they are "ghetto" oils?

This should say it all

Excerpt from the page:

"The viscosity results show this product is an SAE 10W-20, not a 10W-40. Further, the volatility result does not support the use of "high grade petroleum base stocks." In addition, the metal results show the oil lacks the appropriate levels of anti-wear and detergent additives required for modern engines. The analysis also shows high levels of iron, aluminum, and silicon, which indicates this product, may contain used oil."

Last edited:
All oils nobody with any sense would buy anyway.not even quick lubes would stoop this low.most of these oils are overpriced at the hood market on the corner.can buy better and cheaper at walmart and autozone.

We have "chalet" nd30 oil here. Usually about $5/qt at the grocery store

These oils can be found anywhere. I stumbled upon bullseye and bullet at a local independent Shell gas station in a major city. I inquired with the manager and he was buying it because it was cheap. He has zero knowledge on motor oil.

Sub-standard oils without quality control.

One of them is called RK. Stands for Rural King and has a wind driven water pump on the label.
Bad oil but the label is as wholesome as a corn flake box.

Therefore use of the term "Ghetto oil" makes it sound like you're bigoted.

Surely you're not so I suggest not using the term.

Also, 3 cheers for the Ohio Dept. of Weights and Measures which cited, banned and prosecuted the distributors of these "oils". Kira

umm...
Rural King is a Farm & Fleet type chain.
There is nothing wrong with their house brand motor oil.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Why are they banned?

Too rich in additives? Heck they might be better than name brand.

Have yo looked at the site and why they were banned ?

A lot of them are very very high in Undetectium.

Originally Posted By: Kira

According to who and what?

Millions of gallons of these oils are sold across the country in various outlets, including some fast lubes. I personally saw a drum of one of these brands in a fast lube near my house in NJ. Fact is the vast majority of people know virtually nothing about motor oils and often buy based on labelled claims and price. BITOGers pay attention to brand and certifications, but we are only 0.01% of the US population.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: Kira

According to who and what?

Kira,
Living in a Ghetto doesn't imply any single race. Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, etc. can live in a Ghetto.

On the other hand,

Maxiumus,
Bigoted doesn't imply racist, it could just mean to look down upon others and think of yourself as higher/better than they are.

But, if you mixed the two extremes of both of your viewpoints, and compromise to middlegrounds, you could see that because of Newton's Third Law, there would be an opposite to Ghetto Oil called Mr. Roger's Neighborhood Oil.

~ Triton

I've seen Orbit oil on the shelf at a local Shell station (that is now closed down), right alongside Pennzoil and Formula Shell oil. I guess a birdie sang to the PQIA
whistle.gif
. Had my FRN card worked at the pump, I never would have had to go inside, and I never would have noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back