Portable air compressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at getting an inexpensive air compressor for my road-trip car (Corolla). I have looked at many models on Amazon however most of them need a 15 amp fuse (my car has a 10 amp cigarette lighter fuse). I have noticed multiple honda/kia/hyundai factory air inflators for sale on ebay, I was wondering if anyone knows if these would for my application.

Thanks!

Walmart has cheap 12v pumps. To inflate tires they work albeit slowly.
The thing about those oil less 12v pumps is they are all cheap junk. Disposable. So buy the cheapest. It's not going to last any longer than a more costly one.
Most brands are built in a single factory. The only difference is the sticker with the brand name,and the price.

I have a cheap one from Home Depot. Got it on clearance for $5 so I don't think they still sell it. I also have a Slime one that I've had for years, the Slime is a little quicker but both get the job done.

NHGuy- Problem with Viair from what I can tell is they all require a 15amp fuse, most sedans come with a 10 amp fuse. I may be mistaken though

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
most sedans come with a 10 amp fuse. I may be mistaken though

Really? My old 530i has a 30 amp fuse for the cigarette lighter.

Honestly, why not a $10 bicycle pump? Ive even seen made in USA ones at W-M...

It will last forever, be as fast if not faster than a junky 12V unit, and not have the issue of excess draw like a decent 12V unit would.

A trick you can use if the compressor is at the edge of blowing the fuse is to leave the chuck disconnected to the tire and turn on the compressor. Once it's started up and spinning, then connect it to the tire. It's the initial start up that can draw the most current.

is it that bad to pop the hood and hook it to the battery?

If it's just for emergencies maybe you want to step up and get a jumppack that also an air compressor.

The jeep guys love the master flow 1050s and the q industries Q50 ( they are both the same, same company) they run $50 on Walmart and push 2.5 -3 cfm.... enough to fill a truck tire in 4 min.

They make a bigger one that pushes 5.5 cfm that northern sells for $120, that I thought would be awesome to route in before I decided to go york

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
NHGuy- Problem with Viair from what I can tell is they all require a 15amp fuse, most sedans come with a 10 amp fuse. I may be mistaken though

This fuse thing isn't going to matter one bit. Just because the compressor has a 15 amp fuse doesn't mean it is going to blow the 10 amp fuse in your car. At least I guess this is your line of thinking. As Clevy said, they're cheap almost disposable junk. I say almost because I have yet to throw away my cheap harbor freight one. Thing gets too hot to even touch but still works.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Slime Spair kit...

Bottle of Slime and tire inflator...

http://slime.com/223/products/safety-spair-70005/

If you use slime or any goo-based repair kit, expect to pay a heavy surcharge when you need to get your tire replaced-even if slime or whatever says "safe". Most will refuse to patch a slimed tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If not this Viair unit should do the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012WHBSO/

These Viaiar inflators seem to be getting pretty good reviews all around. I'm thinking of picking up this 77P unit myself:
http://amzn.com/B00CDW2MCM

People seem to love the PSI gauge display on this one.

One thing I noticed is that they all say "Engine must be running while using this compressor." Is it just so that you don't discharge your car battery too much?

As far as cheap inflators go, the biggest issue I've found was the cigarette plug - it just does not hold up. It either breaks apart or does not make good contact. With that said, I picked up a really cheap one from Target some 15 years ago, and it's still working today. I also have a cheap Slime one that I bought from Walmart last year. It pumps a little faster, but the cig plug is just horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back