Most important ingredient for a sliding tappet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got three Jeeps with the non-roller, sliding-tappet 4.0 engine. Excluding all the diesel oils that get a high rating, what is the most important ingredient in oil to keep these engines healthy?
Okay, the reason I ask this question is that there is young adult in the area who just bought a local service station. Included in his purchase was everything that was in the property, in other words, if an item was inside the property he purchased, he gets to keep it. After doing inventory, he found hundreds of quarts of Universal (brand name) Eco Ultra engine oil in 5W-20, 5W30, and 10W30 weights. It seems the previous owners had purchased this oil thinking it would be the next big fad and all of the local customers were afraid of it. It was then shelved. (Side note: This is reclaimed oil that is rerefined and new additives are added. We all know what happened to a certain name-brand of oil that tried to sell their variety of reclaimed oil.....)
Anyway, this is the website for this oil: http://www.ecoultraoil.com/
The new owner is selling all of it for $2/quart. Half of me wants to purchase it to help the kid out. The other half is hoping it would be a good oil for my Jeep flat tappets. It is also an SM rated oil, which doesn't scare me one bit. Matter-of-fact, I feel that this oil would be ideal for my Jeeps, more so than an SN oil. So I've bought some 10W30 oil, I'm waiting for an oil analysis kit, and if the ingredients of this oil are right, I might buy quite a few of the 10W30 quarts.
So exactly what ingredient(s), and at what concentrations would be ideal that my Jeeps would love the stuff? ZDDP?
Maybe just the veterans on this site know what the stuff is, but I've also got some S.L.O.B. in the garage that I could start using.

It doesn't seem like a steal of a deal to me, $2 (US) a litre is about what I pay for Delvac HDEO

I've run Valvoline NextGen 5w-20 with no issues, don't have a problem running re-refined oil. Do you think when it comes out of the ground that crude oil is perfectly clean?

Originally Posted By: car51
Didn't he say he would pay " $2/quart"??

So I get .064 more for my $2

The Jeep 4.0 does not seem to need high ZDDP once broken in, it doesn't hurt a bit but isn't worth chasing either IMO.

If that stuff is API SM, your Jeep should run contently on the 10w30 for near forever I would wager.

Disclaimer, I'm not a Jeep 4.0 expert. So, I googled "Jeep 4.0 camshaft wear"

What I came up with was, as expected, a number of worn cams and lifters. It seems the flat tappet Jeep engines need the same things other flat tappet engines need....

More specifically, sufficient viscosity and ZDDP.

liftersm.jpg

camfailure024a.JPG

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Disclaimer, I'm not a Jeep 4.0 expert.

I'm really not either, but I will be breaking in a new engine within a month. I'll probably break it in on HDEO engine oil for the first few changes and then decide what the oil will be after that. Since they are not a huge revving engine, the valve springs are pretty soft.

I'd wager low quality parts or possible PQIA "oil failures".

Should also try the 5w30 and VOA it too.

Either could be mixed with a 5w40/15w40 or an overdosed racing oil and be perfectly usable.

SLOB... takes this website back a few years

Originally Posted By: Skid
High ZDDP, low moly, low detergent would be the best for flat tappets.

Why the low moly and low detergent? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
High ZDDP, low moly, low detergent would be the best for flat tappets.

Why the low moly and low detergent? Just curious.

Because the three compete with each other.

Compete with each other for space? There's only so much room in a quart, so are you saying if there was less moly and detergents, there'd be more room for ZDDP ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Compete with each other for space? There's only so much room in a quart, so are you saying if there was less moly and detergents, there'd be more room for ZDDP ?

This is additives 101. Surface active additives compete with each other for active surface sites. It's not a volume thing. Troll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back