need your opinion on tires.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello to all,

two part question and both are tires

1) My wife has a 12 Honda accord coupe 4cy. i bought it with mismatching tires. i do not like mismatching tires.(two are Chinese [censored])....

If you had to buy tires today.....what name brand would you buy? This will be the first time I'm buying 225 50 r17...so i could use your help.
I would like to have long wear, quietness and smooth ride....basically i guess you'd say a touring tire.

2) Now if anyone here owns a truck again could use your opinion on all terrain tires. I've never use all terrain tires (always street tires) Below is my choices:

235 75 R15

Nexan roadian mt
Hercules Terra trac a/t2
mastercraft courser a/t2
toyo open country a/t2
(toyo are $150 more so i have them listed last)
looking for low noise, good ride and great looks if possible in a a/t tire

thanks for your time
BD

Last edited:
For the Accord, I'd recommend the Kumho Solus TA71. A new touring tire with a $100 rebate and even a good pre-rebate price.

The Dunlop Signature II is also a good touring tire.

For the truck, what size tire?

For the car I recommend the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, they're what I have on my car and after 7 months and 10,500 miles I couldn't be happier. They're quiet, smooth, and handle great.

For the truck I recommend the BF Goodrich All Terrain, a little pricier than other tires but IMO worth every penny. They too are quiet and smooth and perform fantastic in off-road conditions. I've driven many miles off-road with BF Goodrich All Terrains, can't imagine using anything else. I had them in 235/75-15 on my 1996 Chevy Silverado and they're also in that size on my grandfather's 1996 Jeep Cherokee.

Look into the GY Wrangler (no suffix) for your truck, it's a classic design and only available in your one size.

For the truck I like the General Grabbers as a mostly road tire. They wear well, ride good and pretty good in rain and snow. In AL you might not care about snow unless you head north in winter.

For the car I like any touring Michelin pretty much. Never had a bad one. General Altimax RT43 is also good. Cooper CS3, 4 or 5 are all good. I would avoid the Mastercraft from my past experience and others that I know as well. I told a guy at work to avoid the Mastercraft and he went for the low price. 10,000 miles later he is pretty ticked off that they are shot and need replaced again. I never liked the Kumho's but some people seem to like them. They would sin too easy in any wet or snow. Wear was ok but traction on my old civic was bad.

I love my Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2s (and old Revo 1s), but my Yokohama Geolandar A/TSs have been good (albeit slightly noisier) as well. On your truck choices, the Nexens are Chinese, & the Mastercraft & Hercules tires are made by Cooper-which was recently bought by-you guessed it-a CHINESE company (Shangdong). The Toyos are the only guaranteed non-Chinese tire on your list!

The General ALtiMAX rt43s seem to be a very well regarded tire for the price.

What's the budget for each car? That'll really change the recommendations.

For the Accord, check out Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums.

Have them on 2 of my cars right now. Smooth and quiet tires.

budget will be around 650 each. especially for my wife's car. i don't want cheap on the accord. I don't want chinese made either. Bad experience with chinese tires many years ago. I plan to buy 4 tire package for each vehicle.

thanks for all the quick inputs....this is awesome

BD

Last edited:
For Accord, I'd go on tirerack looking at review and pick one of those that have 8 overall on all categories especially traction, and come up with a list. Then bring it to your local tire places and see what they have for a good price.

Continental DWS. Or if available in ur size continental tru contact. I have the tru contacts on my impala and they are the best tire i have had for the wet and snow. I can b doing 70+ in the rain and u can't tell the difference in wet or dry. And in the snow it just tears through it with no problem.

Tire rack has a raiting of 9/10 for the tru contacts and a 90k warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
For the Accord, check out Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums.

Have them on 2 of my cars right now. Smooth and quiet tires.

The Ecsta LX Platinum has been replaced by the Solus TA71, which has a $100 rebate
smile.gif

For #1

General Altimax, Kumho Ecsta ASX for more expensive go Continental or Michelin.

For #2

Out of your list, The Toyo hands down.

Not on the list check out General Grabber and Firestone Destination A/T

If affordable my favorites are GoodYear Wrangler A/T, Michelin LTX and Bridgestone Dueler Revo2

Well if you're on a budget then definitely go for General Altimax RT43. I've got them on the 1970 VW Beetle which is probably closer to a grocery cart than a car, but those tires are fantastic on it.

I forgot Toyo makes great truck tires that last, wear evenly and great traction in all conditions. Never saw a bad Toyo anywhere.

My Element came with Toyo Open Country H/Ts and they were pretty terrible in rain and not much better in the snow. I took the set off and they still have 9-10/32 on them. I'll be selling them. Not to say that there aren't good Toyo tires or that the A/Ts are bad too, just had a bad experience with the HT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back